Sign in to follow this  
toon vw

Insurance rip off ??

I have just bought my new vr which i am over the moon with, i contacted my insurance company to tell them about my change of details from my passat v5 to my new corrado vr6, i was told it would cost me another £14.50 for the rest of the policy which ends on december ( not too bad i did'nt think ) :D . The details i gave for the vr included having no alarm or immobilisor at all !!!. I have just contacted them again to tell them that as of tuesday 1st august i am having a cat 1 thatcham approved toad Ai 606 system installed & all they have told me is to inform them when it has been fitted but it WON'T affect my premium at all. :x

Even though i am 38 years old & i have got reasonable premium i still would have presumed that this would have reduced my premium a bit. :brickwall:

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them ?

You're lucky to be honest that they didn't say it HAD to have an alarm. I know when I first insured my G60 in the UK they said it had to have an alarm else they wouldn't insure it (I'm 29 with 10 years no claims).

Still might be better to shop around enxt time you renew, some are better than others ;)

Most insurance companies will expect at least a CAT2 immobiliser to be installed on something like a Corrado as a minimum and will in fact refuse to insure you for theft if the car doesn't have it.. thats what happened to me with Churchill insurance.

But you're right - you could go from a basic CAT2 (which only prevents the car from being started) right up to a super secure CAT1 system which would go beserk if someone put a window through and they will not alter your insurance premium in your favour at all. Some people on here feel that an alarm is no more of a deterrent than just an immobiliser, but I personally feel that it is and that your premium should drop a little with a full alarm system installed!

its the same when i insured my g60, at 20 they said it had to have an alarm, at least cat 2 and when i told them it was the same alarm as above they said it makes no difference! the stupid guy said it would even make the insurance higher if they changed the policy to include this, but this was norwich union so i guess it was to be expected. im with brentacre now and there much better! hurray :cheers: