Sign in to follow this  
wilson

Testing spoiler motor (I have searched!!)

I just want to test the spolier motor is working, can I connect a positive directly to it and see?

Where shall I connect it?

Thanks

am I right...... there is only two wires going into the boot to run the spoiler.... One is blue / white and other is green / white ?

I posted too soon, I've just used volt meter, and I'm getting a good 12v at the tailgate when the swich is pressed, I'm getting 12v at the red when switch pushed one way then 12 volts in the black when pushed the other.

But i'm not getting even a noise from the moter at all... is the moter knackered, is something disconnected? its difficult to see..!!

Also tried removing the motor but the three nuts underneath just turn, and dont undo!

Help?

It is a little cramped in there. From what you say the 12v is being switched correctly, but the control circuit also has to switch the earth connection at the same time; unfortunately, the test you have done does not prove the earth connection is being made.

Best bet is to pull both wires off the motor (note which colour goes on which terminal) You will need a couple of lengths of spare wire to earth one motor terminal to the chassis and then put 12v on the other terminal.

If the motor doesn't move it will mean one of two things

1. motor is dead

2. You've given it a 'down' control when it already is (down). Connect wires other way round and see what happens.

HTH

It is a little cramped in there. From what you say the 12v is being switched correctly, but the control circuit also has to switch the earth connection at the same time; unfortunately, the test you have done does not prove the earth connection is being made.

Best bet is to pull both wires off the motor (note which colour goes on which terminal) You will need a couple of lengths of spare wire to earth one motor terminal to the chassis and then put 12v on the other terminal.

If the motor doesn't move it will mean one of two things

1. motor is dead

2. You've given it a 'down' control when it already is (down). Connect wires other way round and see what happens.

HTH

Bugger... just packed up... right, i'm going out again... she's only watching drap in the tv anyhow !!!!

Right when I first connected it, it made a noise, and sounded like it tried to go down, connect it the other way, what I think is up and nothing...

whats that mean then? !

wilson, are you the chap thats in Ipswich?? - If so I have the VAG spoiler manual and a spare control box if needed.

Superd, would be great just to be able to test it, at least then I know what I gotta buy for it.

Can I borrow ?

Thanks

Yeah no probs - I think it's likely to be one of the microswitches thats the problem, not sure if you can buy these but they may just need cleaning...

Are you about town in the day time? I'm in the Curve bar most lunchtimes..

No, I work in Felixstowe mate. but my g/f works round the corner from there at blocks solicitors. under the arch next to The Swan Pub.

Or I can pick it up an evening or weekend ?

Tried winding the spoiler up manualy while on my lunch break, but the knob would not budge? should it?

Hey matey, the unit you lent me is different to the one on mine as per pics below

Yours has A at the end of part no. mine has B. so didn't really get anywhere. but I have taken a copy of your book, that is real helpful, and if I can get the right part I'll have another go.. has anyone got a spare B with the spades below that I can borrow?

Thanks mate, I'll get my g/f to take yr bits back to work and then we'll go from there.

Thanks again

100D0954.jpg

100D0956.jpg

Was looking to see how you were doing, but this says it all

Yep, deffinetly a Corrado...

:lol:

Was looking to see how you were doing, but this says it all

Yep, deffinetly a Corrado...

:lol:

Doesn't it just :lol:

Tried winding the spoiler up manualy while on my lunch break, but the knob would not budge? should it?

I've tried pulling it out, pushing it in, turning it, used pliers, but the manual winder will not budge...! any thoughts ?