Sign in to follow this  
BigTartanJudge

MK3 Golf GTi alarm problem

I know it's not corrado related, but seeing as it's VW thought you huys might be able to help. A girl from my work has acquired a MK3 Golf GTI 8V P reg.

It seems to have a problem with the alarm system though. The alarm is a Foxguard, no model number on the black box at all. I seem to remember that these were factory-fitted possibly ?

The car will be fine, but the alarm seems to have a tendency to go off spontaneously when driving along. I thought about disconnecting it from the multi-plug connector but not confident as think that the alarm system also incorporates an immobilser so if disconnected she might end up with a proper DEAD car.

Just looking for some advice on what the problem might be (have checked all connections, wiring and pin switches etc.), how to rectify or if it's safe to diconnect the system temporarily till problem is diagnosed at auto-electricians.

Cheers

BigTartanG60

To disconect you would probably have to by-pass the imobiliser cuts on the loom, starter and inition wires mate. It could be also possible that the alarm could have a motion sensor thats not deactivating when the system is disarmed. Where abouts is the alarm braain located?