Sign in to follow this  
corradogang*

Thinking of buying a corrado...

as above

I used to have and I just fell in love with it and TBH regardless of cost there is not much on the road i'd rather drive.

I have a buget of 12k+ to play with to buy one, sort the suspension and have a r32 transplant , am I just wasting my money or what?Can this be done >? the reason i made this post is that hopfully the longer term owners could give some sort of estimate on running costs as they are all getting on a bit now.Also I will barley be able to afford any repairs once this moyey is commited

Simple advice really. If you have abudget of 12k but will barely be able to afford any repairs once its spent you're taking the wrong tack.

Find yourself a really nice car, spend some money getting it to how you want it and stick 2-3k to one side for running repairs

One of mine has done 40k miles in the last twelve months with nothing but routine maintenance needed. You'd be mad spending your full budget because if something does go wrong it could be expensive

Aye. You will find 'the best' Corrado's for around 7k-8k quite easily. Bank the rest for a rainy day if the car goes bang! :)

wait is that $12,000 or £12,000?!?! cause if you're talking £ what the hell do you do for a living and can you get me a job? haha cause i doubt anyone would ever give anyone a loan for that much for a corrado anymore...

I know what your saying save the rest for a rainy day etc but i'd like the car to actualy work as i'm sure most vr owners will testifiy 12 year+ vr's just don't work. What I was thinking is why spend the money replacing bit by bit when you could do all at once (in therory anyways ) at consideorably less expence (in the long term

my theroy is buy a G60 and forget the nightmares of a VR6. buy a G60, replace the blue water temp sensor, clean the ISV, replace the vacuum line from the computer to the throttle body, replace the oxygen sensor (universal 3 wire splice in job is dirt cheap i'll explain if needed) replace the cog belt on the supercharger, and do a tune up (spark plugs, distributor cap, and rotor and check spark plug wires) after all fo that said and done any G60 will be a turn key and drive daily reliable car. just no one ever wants to believe it, but i have never needed to do anything more to any G60 than that and i've had 6 G60's and 1 VR6... i bet you can guess why i've had more G60's...

and if you spend more than £50 replacing all i hjave said let me know cause i'll buy everything and ship it to you for probably around £50 maybe £55 if you don't need spark plug wires...

try fixing the common problems on a VR6... you'll be poor trying to do so... head gasket, head work cause if it needs a gasket i guarantee the head is warped and needs to be taken to be resurfaced, timing chains, chain guides... if you do them seperately it will be really costly and if you do it all at once it's dicouraging cause everything is expensive especially if you have to pay someone to do it all...

but hey that's why they made a 16v, G60, and VR6 in your country cause everyone has different opinions... i'm just stating mine take if how ever you like just don't take it offensive twords anyone or anything

Justin

This is why I was thinking of an r32 transplant, do these have the same design flaws as the vr6? Perhaps the golf gti engine would be the way to go (as soon as some become available anyways) or even the dull sounding 1.8t

any other thoughts on cost ? viabilty?