Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

what rim width can i get away with on 15" bbs RM's

the rm's will be getting stripped down and powder coated when i get back from saudi but i'm not really sure what width outers to go for.

i love the look of the rado lowered with nice wide rear wheels, it just suits the shape of the car imo.

i was thinking about 2"on the back and 1" on the front but would go wider as long as it doesnt require arch work, i dont want a big stretch on the tyres, i would prefer the sidewalls to be square if possible.

so what rims can i get away with and still keep the tyre reasonably square and tucked under the arch?

If you want a square profile tyre i would go no more than 2" i would also strongly recomend going for stainless rims to due to maintenance reasons (although they do add to the unsprung weight)

cheers Darren,

due to the cost, the stainless rims are'nt really an option (think i was quoted £138 per rim) :shocked: compared to £66 for the image ally ones.

the rims will either be powder coat laquered or coated with glisten pc so shouldnt really be a problem on the maintainance front.

i have just had the new chrome bolts through the post and i was looking into polishing the face of the main part of the wheel and have a bead blasted finish to the inner parts of the spokes, then have the whole wheel laquered after they are built and then seal them once they are laquered.

what width tyre would i need for a 2" rim then? and do you reckon i would be better getting the same width front and rear?

I bought some stainless outer rims from Germany they were about £85 each and they were 1.5 " making the wheels 7.5 and i fitted 195/45 tyres.

If you want the details of where i got them send us a pm

HTH Marc

i will be getting the wheels back from the powder coaters on friday (decided to go for a darkish silver powder coat with a high gloss laquer finnish) i gave up on stripping the paint myself as it was a complete pita, the top layer came off quite easily but there is a grey primer base coat which was almost impossible to get off, so i found a different powder coaters who are stripping and coating them for 150 quid all in, and they also use a polyester powder laquer which is white when they spray it on to ensure total coverage and then bake it which makes it go clear and glossy.

i now need to put the order in for the rims with Image but i am still a bit unsure what width outer to get for them, i think after e38 this year the stretch look has grown on me a little but i dont want anything silly and still dont want the arches rolled.

the coilies will be set so the top of the tyre is level with the arch but i dont want any scrubbing, so what width should i go for?

anyone got any pics of their cars on 15" BBS RM's with wider lips?

one thing i need to add if if your not going stainless, do not use image dish's due to that fact that your rims will look dirty under and round the bolt areas and they sit really close... and are really hard to clean round there... My RM's starting pitting after a week of summer use!!!

They will be powder coat laquered as soon as they are assembled so i wont need to polish them constantly any more, i'm just not sure i could justify spending that much extra on the stainless rims when they are only going to be on the car for a few months of the year, and even if i did go stainless the bolts would still corrode, if the whole thing is laquered once its assembled it shouldnt corrode.

i just feel for the amount i would spend on a set of stainless rims i could buy a brand new set of normal alloys, although i did see a video of a guy driving into a curb with the stainless rims on purpose to show how strong they where and it caused more damage to the curb than the rim.