Sign in to follow this  
daytona600

VR6 Bumpstops Advice please

I need front & rear bumpstops for my 93 VR6 but just got off the phone to GSF & they need a part number for the fronts. Rears not a problem as they are the same as a Golf 3 apparently.

Also he suggested that I may be better off fitting polyuarathane stops.

Any advice on the two would be welcome.

I'd get the standard ones they sell - they are rubber rather than foam so last much longer than the VW ones...

If you are lowering make sure you cut them down by that amount tho - either with a hacksaw or stanley knife.

Just saw you other thread - make sure you get new front top mounts and bearings too...

I'd get these from VW however as the GSF ones don't last...

Ok, So you would recomend the following: Let me know if I miss anything

Rear & Front stops GSF standard ones

Front top mounts VW

Front bearings VW

ok, have ordered the mk4 front bump stops & top mount kit from GSF as I had no luck with the local VW dealer. Called for a price/stock & they could not be bothered to call me back. Usual cock service from Barnards !

daytona600, yeah, I had the same problems with Wolsey in Ipswich - they should be able to just look while your on the phone! - there is one guy there, John who is spot on but the rest of them are just miserable old gits or young kids who don't have a clue how to use ETKA...

If you need a large amount of stuff go and see Neil at Ipswich Audi - you won't get a better service anywhere else!

will do. are all parts people miserable? is it one of the qualifications :-) GSF staff where well helpfull, not grumpy & fairly clued up on the C

Ok supercharged I am about to fit my kit but have a question about the front bumpstops. I got the Mk4 stops as recomended but I am unsure how much, if any, to lop of them as you stated that they are shorter.

Also is there a thread anywhere with step by step instructions on the fitting of suspension on the VR? Have looked but cant find anything.

Cheers

Hello mate - leave the fronts as the standard mk4 items - it's not really important to shorten to a particular height like the back where they act as 'spring assistors'

I don't think there is a thread but it's the same as a mk3 golf or any other VW really - haynes manual from a golf/passat should cover it...

I take it you got spring compressors? - you will need them

yeah, got the compressors. had a problem with the top mount bolt as the shock was turning. poped into the tyre place round the corner & they did it with an air ratchet.

major prob is now trying to get the 2nd bolt off to get to the spring plate & dust cover. The nut is stuck tight & I dont think its going to come off. any ideas?

Hopefully you've done it by now but PlusGas is the stuff to use...

If you have major probs then it might be worth buying the rest of the bits you need from VW - I did this with my Koni's as half the bolts were already supplied in the kit - the other ones plus spring plates etc came to about £40...

phew, 8 hours was longer than I expected! Due to rusted parts. I had to resort to the hacksaw in the end. Its done now but the back is to low, looks like I have a boot full of sand ;-). Wont take me long to raise it a bit when I have recovered from today's efforts.

When its all done with new tyres I will post a pic.

Thanks for your help on this.