Sign in to follow this  
J50DUB

air in the coolant system

Hi

my car has air in the coolant system well i think it has when running the water level is just below minimum then once stopped cap open lit just shoots up over max then back down again gradually its making the water level rise but only slightly

any tips on what too do....

the bloke who did my eninge was a real :x :x :x :mad: idiot

Turn the engine over and leave it running with the cap off the expansion tank. Let the water heat up to about 80 degrees, then the thermostadt opens up and whooshes the water around the system. leave it running a bit and the air should work its way out of the system. to make sure squeeze the hose that leads to teh top of the radiator, that should either create bubbles or raise the level in the tank.

then top up with coolant and run for a day or two. then check again. If the system is airtight then all should be good. if it has dropped again you have a leek somewhere.

Also worth trying a new cap for the sake of a fiver too - the pressure relief valves seize up, new ones are blue and have been revised i think...