Sign in to follow this  
madmansi

Rough/low idle and occasional cut out on down shift to 2nd??

Hi all

Havind had my VR for a couple of months now i've noticed more recently that the idle seems a little rougher than when i first got it.

Also sometimes (not very often) when slowing down and putting the clutch in to go into 2nd, say coming up to a junction she cuts out as if the idle is running to low (feels like the engine gets suffocated) -starts up fine straight after.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Cheers!

Si.

A bit more info;

Engine idles at about 900 rpm on fire up, once driven and warmed up it drops to about 600 rpm.

Is this right? it feels too low.

Any suggestions appreciated

Si

You might want to try cleaning up the idle stabaliser valve.

Not done it on mine yet but once i figure out what it is and how to get it off Im going to soak it in carb cleaner or something of that sort.

lol, what zippy said. Give it a good soaking overnight preferably in petrosin or similar. Zippy, remind me at e38 and we can do yours then if you like.

Gav

Somewhere in here is a thread about when my VR6 was doing the very same thing. I spent a fair whack on trying to fix the fault too.

Mine also had a very irratic idle at times, between 750-1500 rpm. I changed the ISV and cleaned all the plugs that go into the MAF and that seemed to stop it. Also I had a split hose just after the MAF that was allowing "Unmetered air" into the engine.

I do believe it is a common pain in the bum fault with the VR.