Sign in to follow this  
RichieSounds

Replacement of a Scorpion 5000 alarm

A while ago i took my car to AMD for some engine work - they told me that I needed a new one (which they'd happily install for x million $) so I went and picked the car back up and took it to another garage. After a compression test the new garage said well the engine was fine, and was in good shape for 100,000 miles.

I had asked AMD to disconnect the alarm as it was playing up, but they ended up 'losing' the alarm altogether. great! :x

So I'm looking to buy another ECU, motion sensors, dashboard light, and possibly siren. The thing is that a while ago a guy who was fitting some audio kit told me he thought it was unusual in that my car had 2 'brains' for the alarm/immob. Is that normal?

There's a guy on the forum that has a scorpion 5000 ecu for sale, but I want to make sure i'm buying the right thing. The code on the bottom of this ECU matches the code printed on my exisiting FOBs: 'MPT1340 W.T. License Exempt' so I thought that sounds promising... Or am i being naive?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what the 2nd ecu on my car might have done? possibly the immobiliser? I have a connector plug just behind the centre of the dash which was for connection to one of the old ecus, but haven't found another anywhere (although I was told it used to be in the passenger footwell somewhere). If anyone has any ideas and might be willing to help me out with some advice I'd be eternally grateful.

Is this route too complicated to start on? The reasons for trying to re-instate the scorpion alarm are: i like the FOB. It's maybe cheaper than getting a whole new one fitted. It worked great with total-closure (although when the battery went flat I've had some major problems in the past - maybe that can be sorted out though). Many thanks for any input at all.