Sign in to follow this  
N_TaG

Alternator-battery issues

Right, 3 weeks ago my battery went flat and refused to charge. Was miles from home or shop so had to resort to the AA. AA man turned up and after a few voltmeter tests announced my battery was shag*ed and i needed a new one. £70 later and a new battery everything seemed fine......

......well i was out last night and when the engine was under load the battery light would flicker. I dont know if this had been happening previously as i hadnt driven it at night. It died and i had to be rescued again by the AA.

Is this the alternator as i now think or does it sound like a dodgy connection somewhere?

when you said it died do you mean the whole engine died or just the battery!

My alternator went a few weeks ago and basically the car still ran fine for the next 40 miles home as long as i didn,t turn the engine off, but I had no rev counter no petrol gauge no stereo no lights, no indicators I couldn't put the windows down and the spoiler droped!!!

The whole engine died....if the battery isnt being charged then how can the engine keep sparking??

It'll keep sparking as long as there's enough charge in the battery. My old renault 19 made it the 78 miles from RAF Odiham to maidstone on just the battery when I'd missed reconnecting a cable from the alternator to the battery after a 2 month detachment stereo stopped working pretty quickly and the wipers got veeerrrryyyyy slow! Battery light was on the whole time and I though it was a dash fault at first. Doh!

If the alternator isn't charging then once the power from the battery runs out the car will slowly start to die, all the lights will go dim, then the guages will stop working then finally the engine will run very badly for a minute or two until it dies completly.

It isn't a great idea to run the car just on battery power as it wont do your battery much good.

It definatly sounds like it's your alternator but put a multimeter across it and see how much voltage it's putting out. Should be around 14v, anything lower than that and it isn't working!