Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Strange Rubbing Sound Per Revolution of front R/H wheel

Alright people!, done a search on this but couldnt really pin point anything...

I am getting what can best be described as a sort of rubbing sound coming from the front end of the car, it seems to happen more when turning left?? and you can hear it ever so slightly when accelerating in a straight line??

there is nothing in the way that could be catching the tyre or anything, but the rubbing sound seems to be in time with the wheel going round...?

I have practically changed changed all parts up from about 3 months ago including bearings etc.. could it be something like a faulty bearing (gsf bearing?), or maybe a outer CV joint?

Also forgot to mention that this rubbing sound seems to go after the car has been driven for a while? only seems to happen from cold or when car has been standing for a while??

the preload on the bearing? i take it you mean the big nut that holds the cv onto the bearing ?

yep, thats the fella ... it`s pretty important it`s set to the correct tightness to keep the correct preload, overtighten it and the bearings will eventually die an early death ..... the more i think about your concern over the rubbing noise the more i reckon it`s the caliper needing attention

Yeah i am pretty sure this is torqued to the correct figure...

I am gonna have a proper look over the coming weekend, i think you may be right on the brakes starting to seize tho! cheers

Not sure if this is related but i ve just looked under the car and the drive shaft anti vibration damper as moved all the way along towards the gearbox end of the shaft... and it had started to come away from the driveshaft itself...

I have cut the little bugger off , so will have to see if this was causing the rubbing sound???

well the noise is still there! its not as bad now...

When i took the torque steer damper off i pushed the brake piston all the way in and that seemed ok... could it be that its still not quite freed up yet?

This is doing my head in now!! i ve pretty much checked everything! there is no play in any part of the front end!! yet i still get this bloody noise!!

Its occuring every revolution of the wheel, its not a constant sound but a rub per revolution.... i had thought it may be the bearings but surely the noise would be more constant...

Had it jacked up and couldnt hear anything... it only happens when car is on all four wheels, it seems to do it more now when accelerating in a straight line and accelerating when turning left , this is all at low speeds... it doesnt happen at higher speeds..

just thought could this be the rear engine mounts sagging?

i have a solid front mount but i dont know the last time the rear and gearbox mount was done....

I'm experiencing the same problem ATM. I'll have a quick look at it tomorrow, hope to find something, as it's getting annoying. Especially since I don't know if it's anything serious or not.. :(

check your toothed belt system mate, i changed my belt and it seemed to go away for a while... may have something to do with the belt tightness?