Sign in to follow this  
G6T-RIZ

battery drain solved

a few people have been on complaining about battery drain me being 1 of them.after trying all the usual things,pulling out fuses and checking with volt meters and finally discovered the prob.

1. well a new stereo was a cause.i wired my stereo direct so u dont need the key in the ignition.but the new alpine stereos still cause a drain even when they are switched off unless the live feed is switched.or u pop the face off.

2. even if u pull all the fuses out and there is still a drain that could be down to the alternator or the alarm as these take a direct feed from the battery.if the alternator is ok then its the alarm system.even if the alarm is not active is still draws a current.just to make sure place a link between the last two wires, remember im talking about the factory alarm.

the central locking will still work with the key.

meter readings.- 0.02-0.04 is normal

0.04-0.10 there is a fault

if the reading is between 0.04-0.10 this will cause ur battery to drain over a period of a few days.

i hope this info comes in handy for those that have a battery drain prob.

a few people have been on complaining about battery drain me being 1 of them.after trying all the usual things,pulling out fuses and checking with volt meters and finally discovered the prob.....

handy info, I've also found that even with a 0.01-0.02 Amp drain by the inactive alarm and stereo my battery can drain down enough to struggle starting after a week or two, even with a new big diesel battery. It's amazing how a small current drain over a long period adds up!

A good quality multimeter with an in-line current facility is sometimes very handy.