Sign in to follow this  
samg60

1.8t black smoke - now fixed with stealth RR graph

Hi there, have just bought a corrado 20v on DTA and am having a few issues with it, the car ran fine for the first two days, but now has started stalling at every junction and wont idle, with bellows of black smoke (unburnt fuel) , I was told by the previous owner that it can be a bitch to start becuase of DTA but find it hard to believe that this is the only issue, as it ran fine for two days, I will throw another set of plugs at it as it hasnt had any for a few years but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas.

(PS what plugs should I use, its a BAM engine with 285 bhp)

many thanks Sam

Sam was this Lees car? He said it was a bit uppity til it warmed up some what. I'd pull one of th eplugs out and get 4 the same. Failing that get 4 plugs for a BAM from GSF.

Sam was this Lees car

yes it is

it has been running fine after it was warmed up until theis morniing. it is a little damp today but nothing really

the only other thing we did was find a fuse in 16? emergency lights with 2 wire going out of it to a small (half a stamp size) box with a led attatched to it, didnt seem to do anything so removed it for a normal fuse. made no difference but we put it back in today after it was running funny just in case

No idea what that is. I don't remember it from when I fitted the alarm. pretty sure I fitted a microwave sensor in it, if there are no ultrasonics visible on the A pillars I definately did.

Did you find out who mapped it? I think Lee told me but that was a while ago. It might have been Wayne Schofield the chip wizard. He wouldn't have bothered too much with the warm up mapping.

It might be worth a call to him though. Is the lambda probe still connected?

Gavin

Hi Gavin, yeah it was wayne that mapped it, so may give him a call, will have a check for the lambda sensor, I guess its still connected.

will get a set of plugs and start there

Could be the wiring to the lambda probe is duff. It should have a heater in it as well to speed its warm up.

Also could be deliberately rich for cold starts and maybe a little over the top. I don't know if they would have wired up the heater for the probe.

You could also check the output is good with a digital voltmeter on the signal wire.

Gavin

Once you sort it it might be worth dropping the oil if its running that rich, cuz twill be thinned out and less effective.

ok changed the plugs (used bosch super 4s as its all I could get hold of on a bank holiday at halfrauds) however it sorted the problem for about 10mins and then waqs back to doing exactly the same in fact now slightly worse, it won't run right at all now with loads of flat spots and as soon as you drop to idle it stalls.

loads of black smoke, need to get this sorted asap (wife wont be that impressed having just spent over 5k for a car that broken :-)pretty sure thats its not serious as its just running really rich , I did pt tescos 99 ron fuel in yesterday but dont think this is much different to optimax.

had a look under the car for the lamda sensor but couldnt see one, although havent been all the way under the car so guess its just out of sight!!

any ideas anyone, will check the blue temp sender, can anoyne tell me which this is and what reading I should be getting, just finding my feet with the 20v engine and dont know my way around it, so used to g60s

Another thought could it be the coil packs

sorry ben just realised that I am using your login

What about the MAF? These modern VW's are very sensitive with regards to the MAF sensor and the problems you're experiencing can be experienced with a bad MAF..

does anybody know how to check if a coilpack is working, after searching a few mk4/tt forums it seems faulty coilpacks give misfires and unburnt fuel

also where is the maf situated and what do you use t clean it if possible

thanks

ben

check the last letter on the part number on the coil packs aswell, it must be 'H' or higher and fit platium plugs asap, the maf should be in the intake pipe next to the airfiter ,unplug it and see if it runs better and there only £75 exchange and don't like being cleaned, but do clean the throttle body, post some pic's of the engine bay

He's running DTA so there is no MAF.

Check the coolant temp sender as can cause running problems. They are a common fault on the 1.8T.

best thing to do is download the dos DTA software, make yourself a lead up, plug your laptop in, then check see what is happening.

You will have a map sensor on there, check what that is reading on idle and see what it does when you accelerate.

I had exactly the same setup and yes it is a bitch to start at times. But a top tip if it refuses to start is to plug the laptop in, then set it to fire off the spark plugs only. This ignites any unburnt fuel in the chambers (which there tends to be a lot of for some reason) and it will then fire on the button.

Does it still have power?

Ok thanks Lee will do, just got 4 platinum plugs from the stealers and a new temp sender is on the way, was going to order new coilpacks but it turns out the engine is running coil packs from an AGU and the dealers said these packs never go, has anyone got any experience of these ?

CoxyLaad he`s got a lead but no laptop at the moment, looks like thats gonna be an essential :roll:

it will drive but not much power just loads of smoke.

right a bit more info for sam.

the temp sensor is on order for tomorrow

new platinum plugs going on tonight.

the coilpack correct for the BAM engine is 06B905115L according to Audi (the L on the end says theyre the new item that dont break as easy)

the part number on the coilpack in this car is 058 905 105 which audi says is found on loads of cars from the AGU to the S4. there is S4 on te top our sams coilpacks, so we`re assuming thas what they`re off.

are coilpacks interchangeable on all engines? or are these S4 ones on there for a reason to cope wiht the power hike?

i`m going to have a look on a mates A6 this afternoon to see whats on his and might try them to see if it is coilpack.

thanks,

sounds like one of the sensors is faulty.. as coxy said, plug in a laptop and see if all the sensors are playing ball.. Just sounds like overfuelling so could be the MAP sensor. Not going to do you any harm, shouldn't wash the bores. I had a similar issue on mine and I replace the MAP sensor and it was fine.

Another thought, could be a corrupt map on the DTA, unlikely, but might be worth re-installing the map. Again need a laptop.

Coxy had a DTA on his mk2 so he's your best person to speak to.

With regards to the bad starting issue, I've found a semi fixable solution. Just need to open the throttle body a touch, i.e. I've just used some cable ties to make sure it idles around 1000 rpm and I haven't had a problem with the cold start since. I will be fitting a mk1 stablisation valve shortly which does effectively the same thing.

Let us know how you get on!

**** just read your last post.. do a stobe light test on the coil packs to check they are ok.. If not I've heard GSF do replacment items for about 20 quid each! S4 engines use the same coilpacks as some 20vt's - no difference *****

Ben

do a stobe light test on the coil packs to check they are ok

were wondering how to test them,

the ones in mates A6 are the same part number so we`re gonna try them anyway see if that makes a differnce until we can get acccess to a strobe and/or a laptop

thanks

That should be a "strobe light".. sorry.. typing too quickly!

Its not an expensive item if you need to test the coilpacks. Just pull out 1 coilpack and insert the strob light between the coilpack and the spark plug. Make sure its connected to the metal areas on both and just turn over the engine (disconnect the fuel pump or something).. you'll see the strobe light flash for every time the coilpack sends power to the sparkplug. If you get no flash, there is no spark and thus the coilpack could be fooked!

Or you could try your mates. Harder to see which coil pack is knackered though..

B

right we just put new platinum plugs in it and it started and idled fine, left it get up to temperature and for the thermostat to open... still fine

so took it for a spin and was ok for about 6 miles then started to stall at junctions, then it started to bog up and shoot the black smoke again and backfiring.

had a look to see if a vacuum pipe has a split but couldnt see any damage on them so am a little bit lost.

The car was very underpowered with nasty backfire noises coming from the exhaust. will all the black soot damage the impeller on the turbo ?

is it worth ordering a fuel pressure regulator, whats the cost of them ?

am getting a bit worried now as I dont want to damage the car.

also as a thought the injectors are quite loud but they were ike this when I bought the car ?

dont think that would be the issue ?

i think sam has just got his hands on a lap top so he`s be currently learning how to use DTA

hope all goes well...

no thats not the MAP, thats the OEM boost/wastegate controller. My MAP is a small box. It will have a vacum pipe going to it and a plug with about 3 wires coming out og it. My Haltech may be different to the DTA..

The injectors make loads of noise, sounds like tappets have gone, thats all fine.

Don't worry about turbo..

The more I think about it its the MAP.. however have you made sure the batt is all good as if the coils aren't getting there required volts they may not fire properly! I know it sounds strange but mine did exactly as you described until I change the batt for a much larger item!

Its not the Fuel reg either.. you need to plug the laptop in and see if the MAP is reading atmostphere, then turn it over and the value should drop on ignition as vacum is created then read a minus value once running (vacum).

Let me know.

Just looked at the pic again.. the MAP is in the top right hand corner.. its the item just out of the pic.. had a blue vacum pipe going to it.. I have a spare one at home.. doubt you are but if you are going to E38 I can bring it.. to test it?

Ben