Sign in to follow this  
steveo29

innacurate fuel gauge g60**updated**

ok the car is a g60 golf..but im told the tank sender is specific to g60 golfs and corrados

my fuel gauge reads about 1/5 too low...ive now tried another gauge in the dash and its the same

i wondered if this is a common problen on corrados...is there any way to calibrate things?? otherwise im gona bash a 2nd hand sender in it and see how it goes

I have this problem on my VR6, except mine tells me one minute i have loads of fuel and the next none etc.

I done a search and asked about it on here to which i was told it was the fuel level sender which sits in the tank. This is either faulty or has a bad connection and the problem will be sorted if i change this. On a corrado this can be easily reached through the boot but i am not sure about golfs im afraid. If yours is just readin wrong then apparently they can just be adjusted which you are supposed to do if you change anything to do with the fuel tank/pump etc anyway.

You can read my thread HERE

ok the car is a g60 golf..but im told the tank sender is specific to g60 golfs and corrados

my fuel gauge reads about 1/5 too low...ive now tried another gauge in the dash and its the same

i wondered if this is a common problen on corrados...is there any way to calibrate things?? otherwise im gona bash a 2nd hand sender in it and see how it goes

sounds like the float/sender unit, they're not the most accurate of things at the best of times, mine reads a tiny bit high, only caught me out once not long after I had the car, my previous VW would run right to the bottom of the red, the Corrado runs out about 2/3 of the way down the red :oops:

like Kev said in the other thread, it can be adjusted though in the tank.

when i fill up is above full. then after 70 miles its below half. - gulp. then it takes 140 to goto empty. wird. but i've just got used to it.

when i fill up is above full. then after 70 miles its below half. - gulp. then it takes 140 to goto empty. wird. but i've just got used to it.

not sure how the corrado ones work, but on the old MK1 I had there was basically a winding of resistance wire and the float moved a contact against it (a simple variable resistor), problem was the windings were (slightly) different distances apart so the gauge moved faster at some points.

ok update time

ive had a quick look

i can confirm the tank is actualy full to the brim with petrol!

i checked the slider thing for resistance,each segment reads higher accross the scale as you would expect

and the float is actauly as high as it can go , and with the sender out and crank to the full postion it still reads under full

so any ideas now? seems to me the sender is fine...and that i somehow need to calibrate the gauge and the sender together...mine does not have the ajustment screw

ok update time

ive had a quick look

i can confirm the tank is actualy full to the brim with petrol!

i checked the slider thing for resistance,each segment reads higher accross the scale as you would expect

and the float is actauly as high as it can go , and with the sender out and crank to the full postion it still reads under full

so any ideas now? seems to me the sender is fine...and that i somehow need to calibrate the gauge and the sender together...mine does not have the ajustment screw

If I were you I'd try to borrow and old passat dash to see if the fuel gauge is dodgy, could always try it before you buy it from a scrappy? I've got one sat in the garage you could try but I'm probably too far away from you in Northampton.

Hi mate, had a look in the Bentley and it does mention the Voltage Reg/Stabiliser but says if this was bad then the water temp reading would be up the shoot....

It also mentions testing the gauge by plugging it into a VW tool (machine) which I suspect is one big variable resister... at 50 it should read empty and at 160 half and at 350 full... (it doesn't mention what these units are tho but I suspect ohms)

I wouldn't like the say for certain that it's the sender reading out of range as i'm looking in a US Corrado manual and you have a Golf but it may be worth getting a 350 Ohm resister from somewhere to test and see if it reads full??

im gona try a voltage reg anyway...my temp does read a touch on the low side, but i never thought much about that

any chance when you fill up the beast next...could you whip off that circle plate in the boot and check the 2 inner pins for a reading in ohms please

ok the voltage reg is spot on , so its not that :(

i was hoping to find the sender wires at the cluster plug....theyre brown/ blue and purple/black at the tank plug.....yet theres none of those at the clock plug??? whats that about? do they change mid way