Sign in to follow this  
wcrado

Campaign edition mk2

hi there,

just sold my corrado a while back. needed the money! so now i've got my feet back on the ground i was 'in the process' of looking for a mk2 to use as a run-around, when this little beauty caught my eye....

it's a 1988 campaign-edition mk2 Gti 16v in oak green. absolutely standard, and by that i mean the only thing thats been changed is the stereo. it is in fantastic condition, no visible marks, scratches, dings, just a small scab of rust on the windscreen which i might get dealt with a.s.a.p. the owner has kept it garaged since he's had it, and only put 5k miles on it in 6 years. it's covered 125k in total.

now i did't quite have the money, as i was looking to buy a golf in a couple of months time, and i was originally after a big-bumper 8v, but i really couldn't afford to let it slip past, so i put a deposit down and have now been scrambling like mad to get the cash!

so obviously i'd like your opinion on whether you think this sounds like a 'good deal' , but also i'd like to find out what you guys know about the campaign edition.

as far as i can tell, spec-wise, it seems to come with polished estorils, and a red stripe along the bumpers and the side strips. it has green tinted glass, but i'm not sure if this was common on gti's of this age or whether this is unique to the campaign. do any of you guys know any more?

also i'd like to find out what the vw public think of modifications, as far as this car goes. i'm not usually able to drive a 'standard' car, and it's only a matter of time before i start changing things, but because this car is so standard and in such good condition i am very tempted not to change anything!

however i have been flirting with the idea of fitting 90 spec big bumpers etc, as i love oak green mk2's with big bumpers, think they look amazing, and as i was looking for a 90 spec one to begin with, it's been on my mind. i would have the kit professionally sprayed and fitted, would use a genuine big bumper kit from a breaking mk2, and would keep the original bumpers to throw back on at any time.

apart from that i was thinking about crystal (maybe smoked crystal) headlights and spotlights, and although i've been down the whole 16v tuning road before and not got that good results with anything i've done, i was contemplating, several months (maybe a year) down the road when i've got the cash, getting a polished and ported head from a reputable company. i've never had a polished/ ported head on anything before, but always considered it to be probably the best thing you can do to a 16v.

so there you go. i would keep all the standard parts to change back (except the head as they are usually exchange jobbies), but just want to know what you guys think, as you (mostly!) give very good advice.

cheers

the 10 million sales Campaign MK2 from 1987 IIRC featured 14" Le Castellet alloys, Rainbow trim later seen in 90 spec 16v GTIs, and was available in Oak Green , Helious Blue and Metalic Black other than that it was the same as other GTIs of this vintage, but Oak Green wasn't seen again until 90 spec

Whatever you do dont change the bumpers :(

Oak green came in with the campaign, so small bumper oak green cars are rare!

I always wanted a small bumper oak green 16v, best of luck with it 8)

i was intending to get a cheap big bumper 8v to use as a run around while i pain stakingly save up for a corrado VR, but as this came knocking i thought it would be too good to miss.