Sign in to follow this  
virescopty

engine running, 2.0L 16v

The external fuel pump started making noises and eventually gave up. The car was pushed onto the drive. I checked the pump in the fuel tank and that seemed to be OK. I next changed the pump under the car with a second hand one. This is still making a noise so it will probably be coming to the end of its life! But, the car does not run smoothly, often missing, and when the clutch is depressed, ie to idle it stalls. I suspect that I will need an new pump, but was told that sometimes the relays can cause similar problems. I have checked all the relays that I can locate and although I appear to have got it running more smoothly the car still will not idle. Any ideas where i should check next?

The engine is a 9A version and even sorting the relays out took ages, however I do not appear to have a relay for the ECU, supposedly in position No3.

Welcome to the forum...

Don't worry about the relays for now as the car was running ok...

A failing fuel pump will put more strain on the other one so I'd change that first...

Thanks for the responses, i know that the fuel pump will need to be changed but this didnt really explain why the car would not idle. The answer appears to have been a sticky idle speed control valve. I have managed to get it free, by soaking it in gunk, and although that seems to have got it idling it is still alittle rough. Could that be the result of a nearly deceased fuel pump?

Thanks for the responses, The fuel pump i know needs replacing with anew rather than second hand one and I may as well change the filter at the same time but the idling problem appears to have been a stuck ISV. I soaked it in gunk, and it now idl;es but still alittle rough. Could this be due to the pump and filter?