Sign in to follow this  
alex darcy

heater not getting hot

my heater is not getting hot, it gets warm for about a minute then is stone cold. i changed the matrix which i assumed was blocked, but it wasn't!!! i'm wondering if that alloy 'T' piece is for on the pipe entering the matrix, looks like a non-return or something? its in the engine bay by the way, any ideas as winter is coming, the water is getting hot by the way

cheers

changed the thermostat.. changed the water pump, changed the matrix, all the flaps are working correctly in the heater unit, i have my suspisions about that 'T' piece thing but dont know what it does thus dunno how to test it to see if its working... help, the cold mornings have started already in sunny wales!!!!!! :mad:

Had this problem with my old Mk2 GTI and I think you're right about the 'T-piece thing'.

It's a pressure relief fitted on a recall to stop the possibility of the heater matrix exploding.

Try removing it temporarily and linking the pipes up with some tubing and jubilee clips.

If the problems solved then either get a new one from VW (about £30 if I remember rightly) or leave it out and don't worry about it.

I left mine out of my Golf and never had any probs but I suppose it must be there for a reason. :D