Sign in to follow this  
G60rob

Drive belt problems

After fiddling about with belt dressing to get rid of loud squeaking noises I finally gave in and had the polyribbed belt (serpentine belt?) replaced. It turned out it was cracking and needed doing anyway, along with the power steering belt. I asked for the idler pulleys to be checked at the same time and was told they're OK.

Apart from an occasional "chif chif" noise when the engine's cold the squeaking has gone, but now when the engine's revved there's a sort of grunt, then a "jabba jabba" noise as it starts to slow down. (Yes, I had the charger serviced by Jabba Sport a couple of years ago, but I don't think it's their noise!).

I can feel vibration if I put my finger on the belt tension damper, so is this likely to be the cause? I don't want to splash out £64.31 + VAT for a new one unless I'm fairly sure.

It doesn't seem to be a serious fault at the moment, because I've just driven 1900 miles around France after discovering it the day before I was due to go, but could it be damaging in some way?