Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Driveshaft

The driveshaft, in this case the passenger side, on my G60, the end/hub that is attached to the gearbox, via 6 m8 bolts...does this need to be freely moving, or is it supposed to be stiff?!

I have tried on 3 occasions to remove, and replace the bearings, and everytime come to the same result.

Ive just turned the steering wheel with the drivers side attached only, from opposite lock, to opposite lock, and i cant see the neccessity (sp) of the bit attached to the gearbox to be freely moving, as it doesnt seem to move, all the movement comes from the hub bit attached to the brake assembly.

Does that make sense? :? :( My mechanical lingo isnt the best... :?

Hi It should be freeley moving. Have you stripped the bearings and rebuilt it? If so then ya have rebuilt it wrong. This is a common mistake and do not worry.

Strip the joint again. You need to lay out the inner n outer components so that the small parts of the inner race are opposite the large nodes of the outer case. A CV joint is actually easier to assemble incorrectly. Once its wrong the joint is solid and stiff. Just look at how you have built the joint and then change it as above.

See here for an explanation.

Notice the joint shots large nodes face small

Hope it works. :lol: