Sign in to follow this  
gogsboy

Advice on buying first Corrado VR6

Hi lads, looking to purchase a VR6 and going to view one tomorrow, have always wanted one but just never got round to it.

It was a storm I ideally wanted but think it might be a waste as I dont cover that much miles.

So what has came up is an 94 L with 148k, apparently book is stamped up to around 110k and the guy has done it himself.

Believed to have 4 previous owners, MOT'd MAY 2007.

Green in colour with the cream/beige leather.

Priced at around £1700 and could maybe pick it up for about £1400 or therabouts.

Is this an ok deal and what are things to look out for in Corrados.

They said on the phone it has small bits of rust here and there, leather looks a bit worn, expected I suppose and the mechanic said the back brakes are 'pitted' whatever they mean by that.

Oh and the sunroof doesnt work, its just a manual one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure the chains have been done circa 110k. If in good nick with no ovious defects. sounds cheap. I would give it a full going over. Check tyers and handeling. test as many as u can. Some handle like pigs and can cost anything up to 500squid to get it going in the right direction. Check for blue smoke on decel after hard prod of the excell. (blown motor)

I have seen rados with higher milage that had been very well looked after and were sweet as a nut. I have also seen some pigs with lower milage.

Be on your guard. Need to go with your head on this one.

K-rado

Thanks for the responce, I maybe should have mentioned I'm no mechanic.

Is there anyway of telling if they chains have been done, will it be in the service book?

Whats normally the problem with the ones that handle like pigs, thought they were all superb handling.

Cheers

If it has had the chains done he WILL have a receipt as it is a pretty pricey job, although not on the service schedule. Ask to see it. (I think 500 quid approx, no doubt someone can correct me)

Corrados are normally pretty good for rusting, especially one as 'new' as 1994, so rust as you mention could be a sign of accident damage. Definitely worth a HPI check 'cause 1700 quid is VERY cheap.

You never know, it might be one elderly owner from new who doesnt know what hes got and has taken the price from parkers....but unlikely! :evil:

no way of telling if the chains have been replaced short of an honest seller and reciept. @ that milage, if they have not been changed I would imagine they would be very rattley near side of block. If you are unsure, you gotta budget for overhaul in any case. starting to look expen?

a well set-up corrado handles very sweet but as FWD, and heavey lump up front, they understeer. you get used to it if your cars were RWD and very enjoyable drive. watch the back end on a heavey deceleration and shaep bend!

@ that age and miles, suspen/mounts/bushes will be worn. Heavey kurbing can throw the geometery out ( camber/tracking/alinement) and will cost around £100/£150 to adjust provided you dont need any parts.

CV's have a limited life span, again due to the weight.

Prone to wear on rear disks and pads.

There is a buying guide in the knowlage base. look up top.

Seriously hacked off lads bigtime!

Arranged to go see the car today at 10am, was running slightly behind due to queues in banks, however I had spoke to the women yesterday and she told me she had loads of timewasters and I said I will be there for sure, hopefully 10 but upto 11 at latest.

So I set off en route, made a call just to check all is well, women is working and left it in hands off daughter I think and boyfriend.

She says someones coming round in 2 minutes, oh great, cheers, thought they would have had decency to tell them to come after 11 since I as travelling 80 miles!

So said well I will set off and call me if sold, no call came so kept going, got to the house, knocked on door, said here to see car, ok asked where came from told them.

So gave me keys, started having la good look round it, then asked for the paperwork got that, thought would ask what put the other people off...

The reply was they made an offer...........right.

Do tell me more.........they have left a deposit.

So I said I'm wasting my time here aint I, he said yes!

Well why the feck not phone me and why bother giving me the keys, give me the paperwork, It might have been an idea to let me know rather than have me extract the information myself.

It went for £1300, abolute steal I woud have said, sounded sweet, bodywork had bits but nothing bad, seats had worn well, althought passenger side seat had duff electrics.

Sunroof wasnt right either but for £1300!

Only thing I thought was strange was when the engine was off but the ignition was turned on, was a noise from under the bonnet, not sure exactly was it was or if this was normal corrado behaviour

I'm well hacked off as i'm sure you guys can imagine!

Thanks for the input all the same.