JMC

Silencing a boost return setup

In a quest to slightly quieten down my G60 when on part throttle (anybody who has doen the boost return will know what I mean), I got a silencer kit consiting of a tubing to connect the the bottom of the TB, with the ISV and oil breather, on the end of which sat a large K&N filter. As I was in need of a few fittings to mount it all up (and I already have a ctach tank for the breather), I decided to put the K&N straight on the underside of the TB instead as it was a direct fit (the idea being to stop the air whistling out of the hole on part throttle, so cutting down on the noise a bit). It actually worked, and quietened things down a bit.

Anybody know if attaching the K&N like this is a big no-no in any way, or will it be OK to leave it like that??

Its not going to hurt it johnathan but... its not designed to work like that so i would use the whole set up if possible

Ok Darren, will get off my lazy behind and go get the right bits....

Ok, after a swift trip to Halfords, I've got the necessary hose and clips. Here's a picture of it fitted (along with the old oil catch tank feed, which i may/may not remove). All I need now is a cruise on the motorway to see what it's like....

you need to put a short flexi samco pipe with a 12" steel pipe on the TB... that will do the trick

That was even to noisey for you... :lol:

Yeah, I know, it's all about the noise.... Still, after a nice blat along the M3, all I can say is, I have less of a pounding head now. Thanks Darren, :thumbleft: excellent piece of kit, really does make a big difference.

Yeah, I know, it's all about the noise.... Still, after a nice blat along the M3, all I can say is, I have less of a pounding head now. Excellent piece of kit, really does make a big difference.

Glad you are happy Jonathan

Yeah, I know, it's all about the noise.... Still, after a nice blat along the M3, all I can say is, I have less of a pounding head now. Excellent piece of kit, really does make a big difference.

Glad you are happy Jonathan

Whoa, that was fast - response even before I'd managed to edit my post. Cheers again mate....

Had this on for a few days now, nd though I'd give a bit of feedback on it. Have to say I quite like the new noise. I'm running a toothed belt kit, and the whole thing sounds like an electric motor. Still get the dump valve like noise and changing gear at high revs as well, but it's just quietened it down in the mid range.

So what does the 'silencer' kit comprise?

See the picture at the top of the thread....

« Kick Up The R's » wrote:So what does the 'silencer' kit comprise?

See the picture at the top of the thread....

OK, I'll re-phrase!

Where can I get one or is it a DIY job with the old pipe?

I got this from G-werks. As I understand it they were created to quieten down the Lysholm systems. To me, it does look very like a boost return pipe, cut down and a K&N filter on the end....

Did just putting the filter on the underside of the TB quiten things down as well ?

It did, but only very slightly. Fitting the whole kit has made a huge difference, though, and if you are after the quiet life I can fully recommend it.

Yeah should have thought about that before I put in my order to G-werks yesterday.... postage to Germany is a pain ;)

So is this a special design or just the boost return cut down ???

Good question. I got this from G-Werks as a full setup, but if you wanted to make your own (and you had a K&N filter the right size spare) you can probably cut down an old boost return pipe to do it.