Sign in to follow this  
cheesy

G60 engine into mk3 Golf

Ok i know most conversions are possible

but how easy is it to put a G60 into a Golf mk3 gti?

Any info much apprieated

chris

wiring will be easy as it should be plug and play.

prob you might incounter is i think the engines sit lower on the mk3s? not sure if you use the mk3 mounts that it will be ok?

I might be wrong but I think the boys at RK engineering in St Agnes, Cornwall might have done this not too long ago..

We did a G60 into a Mk3 Gti 8v a few months ago. Pretty straightforward conversion really. We left it on the original rod change gearbox. The loom ended up being a bit of a the original and a bit of the '60 one spliced together. The only thing you may have a problem with is the Tacho drive for the instruments as tach is driven from the ecu on the Mk3 so you can't drive it from a coil feed like it would have been on the G60. You can take a feed for it from the dizzy drive which gets around the problem. The only thing we did loose was the MPG reading on the MFA as this is also fed by the ecu..... that said this may not be the case on a really early Mk3.... but it was on this one.

We also used the intercooler from a Mk3 tdi. Not really big enough to be honest but the install was done to a budget and all that setup fits straight in and gives a nice factory look. Fitting a front mount i/c in a Mk3 isn't the easiest thing but could be done with a bit more time and money.

I'll have a look for some pics and post them up if i can get hold of them.

Cheers Tim.... i was mid reply when you posted that up!

The wiring was the hard part of the install!

The Mk3 engine is a tall block so we were concerned that the engine may sit too low causing problems with the downpipe.... we used the manifold and downpipe off the mk3, it comes very close to the steering rack as its about 20mm lower than it was originally. We modified the heat shield a little to gain a bit more space and haven't had any interferance issues.

this is not very easy I can say, the motor mountings must be customized, all the wiring llom must be changed from g60, i placed a g60 gerbox, so I had to change the mechanical clutch to hydraulic one, i also still have this problem with speedometer and temp gauge..:/ but know i am working on the engine bay, so i don't tried to fix this.

here are some pictures of FMIC mounted

also, some custom piping from stainless steel and polished ;) You can do this swap not very hard exactly, but you will face a lot of problems in this conversion ;)