Sign in to follow this  
P2daz

Rough starting

At startup my car - 1.8 16v really struggles, misfiring and spluttering at first until i have gone down the road a mile or so then is perfect.

I smell fuel quite strongly as well, does this indicate that fuel is leaking into one of the bores?

Any advice appreciated.

At startup my car - 1.8 16v really struggles, misfiring and spluttering at first until i have gone down the road a mile or so then is perfect.

I smell fuel quite strongly as well, does this indicate that fuel is leaking into one of the bores?

Any advice appreciated.

could be the cold start injector or the warm up regulator not working correctly, cold start injector should spray for about 8 seconds if all is well, to test this you need to connect a 15k Ohm resistor across the connector pins of the wiring and remove the valve from the side of the inlet manifold and spray it into a jar (run the engine from cold.) Valve should stay dry for at least a minute after initial 'squirt'

warm up valve - remove connector and connect a test light across the terminals, turn starterand make sure the light lights up. the resistance across the WUR connector itself should be 20-26 ohms.

Hi David, i found a pipe had come off the air box! re-fitted it and hey - presto - everything is great again.

Daz