Sign in to follow this  
pkripper

GOT IT GOING - earth problem.

Greetings everyone,

My G60 has a fault in that the lights on the dash come on when you try to start it but it doesnt turn over, a bit like when the iginition switch has gone. I am going to check the earths tomorrow, is there anything else off hand that I should check as well?

All help much appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

get a cheap multimeter..test that the battery has 12v+ and then test whats at the starter while a helper cranks it over

I will try that, I just get the clicking when I turn it over though. What is the next point of call if there is no voltage getting to the starter?

when it clicks next....i suggest you turn the ign on and see if main beam is as bright as expected , that should confirm if the battery has enough juice to attempt to start the car

if there no voltage at the starter...but the battery is good, then its probably a battery lead

when it clicks next....i suggest you turn the ign on and see if main beam is as bright as expected , that should confirm if the battery has enough juice to attempt to start the car

if there no voltage at the starter...but the battery is good, then its probably a battery lead

Thanks Steve.

Maybe i should change those leads on the alternator as well we talked about at Bluewater?

Got it going and have changed the battery terminal again.

When you turn the key the dash lights still come on and nothing happens, but there is a knack where if you hold the key on full turn and turn it, it will then fire up. I have replaced the ignition switch and there is power to the starter motor. Also, it will sometimes just start with no problem.

Anyone got any further ideas?