Sign in to follow this  
BeavisJem

Snapped bolt on the head :(

Hi guys i was replacing the water flange on the side of the engine on my G60 due to it having a hairline crack and leaking. As i undid it the bolt snapped :mad: :mad: :mad:

It snapped with about 3mm petruding out of the head. What can i do?

Cheers

Beavisjem

Hi guys i was replacing the water flange on the side of the engine on my G60 due to it having a hairline crack and leaking. As i undid it the bolt snapped :mad: :mad: :mad:

It snapped with about 3mm petruding out of the head. What can i do?

Cheers

Beavisjem

you can buy a set of easy-out stud extractors from motor factors etc...

you basically carefully drill into the centre of the remaining stud with a small drill bit then screw in the easy out and it should bite so you can remove the stud.

Dont forget to drown the bugger in duck oil or plus gas first that should make it a little easier to get out too!

Good luck

Dan

You could also try cutting a slot in the end of the protruding part of the stud and use a screwdriver on it. If that fails you can still drill and use a stud extractor

My local garage uses an aerosol which freezes siezed nuts and bolts down to minus 40 deg. and this causes tiny cracks to form in the corrosion. You then spray on penetrating oil/WD40/PlusGas and leave it for a while before undoing.

Best wishes

RB

You could also try cutting a slot in the end of the protruding part of the stud and use a screwdriver on it. If that fails you can still drill and use a stud extractor

My local garage uses an aerosol which freezes siezed nuts and bolts down to minus 40 deg. and this causes tiny cracks to form in the corrosion. You then spray on penetrating oil/WD40/PlusGas and leave it for a while before undoing.

Best wishes

RB

Wurth Rust off?

rosto810.jpg

Works very well even if it isnt what you are on about.

I've used the cutting a slot and screw driver technique, and the trusty old vice grips too, works fine if there is enough to grip on to.