Sign in to follow this  
H8RRA

high mileage 18t's advice needed on potential purchase

...been offered a rather tidy a3 18t sport for the wife to run about in ( well, when I need to drive it, i'd rather she had something smart ;) )

it's a good price - but - has clocked 150k with full VAG history stamped to 130k

Any advice on these motors etc would be appreciated as i'm going to look at it this afternoon.

mass air flow sensors and coil packs is all that has ever seemed to go wrong on any i have ever owned or that my friends have owned... and 95% of the time you can just clean the mass air flow sensor with alcohol, let it dry, and put it back in... and coil packs usually noted to really crap out when they're chipped...

Coil packs, MAFs, N75 valves & recirc valves are the things that tend to be a problem. Also dirty throttle bodies.

By the way, whatever happened to that Corrado script badge? :?

Coil packs, MAFs, N75 valves & recirc valves are the things that tend to be a problem. Also dirty throttle bodies.

By the way, whatever happened to that Corrado script badge? :?

...thanks for the info - the badge is still there i've just been horrendosly disorganised what with prepping the car for painting and now putting her back together.

i'm in the garage this weekend and will try and find it.....

mass air flow sensors and coil packs is all that has ever seemed to go wrong on any i have ever owned or that my friends have owned... and 95% of the time you can just clean the mass air flow sensor with alcohol, let it dry, and put it back in... and coil packs usually noted to really crap out when they're chipped...

were is the mass air flow sensor.mate

H8RRA, thats a lot of miles on an engine which suffers from quite alot of problems... tbh I'd try and find a lower mileage one unless it's really cheap!

oil pumps pack up more so if on longlife servicing. make sure the cambelt and water pump been changed

what he said. seen a few with 20 bent valves due to timing belts stripping after not being changed.

also, seen crakced heads, from the water pump impeller deciding to detach itslef from the pump.