Sign in to follow this  
Taggart

Can you bump start a diesel?

My mother is having car trouble, and needs to know if you can bump start a diesel (MkIV Goof estate 115 bhp TDi PD) - and what the process is.

Having never owned a diesel, I dunno. Any ideas?

You can but VW would not recommend it (on any car)

TDi's needs some serious cranking amps to start, best off either getting a new battery or at least charging it or getting breakdown out?

I suspect if you try and push start it who evers pushing will end up through the back window when the clutch is dumped due to the compression ratio!

Id go with the advice above!

Yes you can.

I would look for the Problem first.

Unsure about new diesels if the pump has any electrical parts but in general

older diesels wont need any power to run.

i dunno about the TDI but baiscally you need heat, fuel, air, and electric... and by electric i do mean altenator/generator... like a gasoline car the diesel will absolutely not run if the alternator or generator is bad or dirty... you can try simply cleaning it or having it tested...

Cheers, she just left the light on, there's no problem with the car.

I think she's got help now, and has got it going, told her to go for a good drive to charge the battery.

You can but VW would not recommend it (on any car)

TDi's needs some serious cranking amps to start, best off either getting a new battery or at least charging it or getting breakdown out?

I bet - aren't they nearly 20:1 compression ratio?

19.5:1 but i have seen lower compression ratios on diesels... i have seen 13.0:1 and i have also seen Honda engines have 13.0:1 and really makes me wonder how the gasoline doesn't detonate at uncontrolled times esp since diesel will detonate then and is a much more stable fuel. a friend of mine who passed away not long ago had a B18C5 for his 97 Integra Type R sent out to be sleeved and built along with his head woorked beyond my comprehension haha with a custom ground cam to run at 12.5:1 with an estimated redline of 11,500RPM!!!!!!! :shock: unfortunatly though since he has passed the engine has not yet been finished... Rocket engineering who is doing the cylinder head is donating his time and work because we are still going to finish rebuilding his stolen Type R... i believe Benson who is doing the block is doing the work for free as well just paying for the parts... it's gonna be a slow progress but she'll get done...