Sign in to follow this  
Storm_VR6

Can anyone help ???? (Oil for my TDI?)

I have a Seat Ibiza 1.9TDI (90HP) on a 2000 W reg...

I want to change the engine oil as the oil looks quite dirty...not sure what type of oil I need? Is this a PD engine? A friend told me that if it is, I need a special oil...

any idea on what the recommended oil for this car is ?

Cheers

Thanks -vr6storm

Any recommendations on oil?

not sure what grade of oil is needed for this car....

I've joined the Seat forum but haven't had any response yet, the replies are as good as other UK Corrado forums (crap) :)

get the oil from GSF, save yourself some money, AND they'll let you know which oil it is you need.... ;) :lol:

Thanks Henny

I usually get my oil from Halfords or another Auto shop here in Birmingham for trade, doubtful that GSF can match the price...

example - Castrol GTX Magnatex 15W 40 £14.63 inc VAT (Halfords trade)

Will try them later to find out the required oil, just thought I'd ask on here first for recommendations....

Yeah GSF are quite expensive now for Oil, usually cheaper at the dealers if you get a bit of discount and sometimes get the free filter too...

Woolworths were selling Magnetec 10W-40 for £3 (2 Litres) but not sure yo'll find any left now...

If it is a PD then i am using Quantum Synta PD Oil which you can get from VW dealers but if they don't stock it you may have to buy a box of 4, I get mine for about £15 each (GSF sell it for £25)

Supercharged - would never of thought to shop at Woolworths for car oil....Some Asda's sell car oil too and i've heard that the prices are reasonable.

If it is PD, then hope the Quanta Silver is in stock....if not i'm thinking of using Magnatex GTD.

Yeah - it was only becuase it was on special offer - usually £15 for 2 litres...

I use Quantum PD oil - it comes in a silver container but has a red label... I don't think yours is a PD tho by the sounds of it....

This may help.

Volkswagen Group Oil Specifications and their Applications

VW 500.00

This is an “old” oil specification and is applicable to engines built before model year 2000 (up to August 1999)

Viscosity ratings: SAE 5w-40, 10w-40 or 20w-40

This oil can be used in all petrol and some diesel engines, apart from those referred to under other specifications.

VW 501.01

This is another “old” oil specification with exactly the same application as VW 500.00.

Viscosity ratings: SAE 10w-40, 15w-40 or 20w-40

VW 502.00

This oil can only be used in petrol engines and is recommended for those which are subject to arduous conditions. It must not be used for any engines with variable service intervals or any which are referred to under other specifications.

Viscosity ratings: SAE 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 503.00

This is a relatively new oil specification for petrol engines with variable service intervals. It includes the AUDI S4, but not the RS4, or the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp.

Viscosity rating: SAE 0w-30

VW 503.01

A new oil specification specifically for the RS4, and the TT and S3 with outputs of more than 180bhp, Passat W8 and Phaeton W12.

Viscosity rating: 0w-30

VW 505.00

For all diesel engines prior to model year 2000 (August 1999)

Viscosity rating: 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40

VW 505.01

For all diesel engines with unit injectors (Pumpe-Duse or PD) without variable service intervals.

Viscosity rating: SAE 5w-40

VW 506.00

For all diesel engines except those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.

VW 506.01

For all diesel engines, including those with unit injectors, with variable service intervals.