Sign in to follow this  
Adam Darby

16v brake caliper

Hi

None that I have been able to find. Some are very similar, but not quite the same. New ones are only £60 bucks so save yourself a packet. Exchange price of course, as they are pretty unservicable at home.

Have fun

Dic

yep just that i think it uses the same brake pads as a couple of car's because when i bought my last set it had corrado, passat, peugeot on the box.

pads maybe, but calipers probably not. It is the entrance of the h/brake cable that causes most of the issues. I have tried the ones from a golf and jetta and they don't fit.

If you buy recon, then you also don't have to worry about the handbrake mech. sticking which is a pretty unservicable fault at home.

a golf mk3 rear caliper will go straight on with the standard hoses, only difference is a slightly re-designed handbrake release spring, doesn't sieze as easily as the golf2/early corrado ones.

as in any mk3 with rear discs? can i keep the existing hand brake cables or do i need mk3 ones.

yep, cables and hoses fit fine, got mk3 ones on my 1.8 16v simply because GSF didn't have any of the earlier design in stock when I needed to exchange the old ones, they let me have the mk3 ones as we compared them and they were the same layout.

would i have to buy two so they match, because i only need one

don't know why, they look exactly the same and have same diameter piston, I had them side by side and the only difference is the spring for returning the handbrake cable, exposed on the early ones. But if one has siezed the other won't be far behind, my second one was about 6 months later!

the mk4 ones are totally different, alloy and need different hoses fitting, not sure if they have to go on upside down so the bleed nipple is in the wrong place?