Sign in to follow this  
fry

no main beam

Just fitted a trimsport uprated loom with great success (everything worked even with my mechanical ineptitude) only to find a day later that I have no main beam only dipped and side lights. When I put the main beam on I just get sidelights !! Like a total fool I binned the instructions and cant contact the guy who makes them any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

cheers

phil

I presumme you have checked all the connections?

I lost main beam after my first drive with the new loom, turned out the spade connector wasn'ts very tight, and had simply come loose, I took a pair of pliers to it, and plugged it back in, and I had glorious daylight again.

btw, it was the yellow and white wires, the signal lines, thats had come loose.

Thera

Thanks for the replies people. Just been out and had a look, all conections are sound it turns out that one of the fuses on the new loom had blown and I diddnt see it first time round. If this happens again am I to assume there is a problem?

cheers

phil

what rating are the fuses?

Gav knows all, he'll tell ya ;), but he might have to put his scientists hat on :lol:

Thera

Phil, what size bulbs are you using?? Let me do the maths if you want bigger than std stuff.

Cheers

Gavin

All is well now I replaced the fuse that had blown. I think it happened when I took the car to the jetwash could have forced some water in there somewhere causing something that I probably wont understand.

The bulbs I am using are some 60% brighter jobbies not too sure of the make but they are well bright and are a massive improvement over the lame ass standard crap !!

buenos noches

phil

Hello all,

I've now fitted the Trimsport loom and it's great. Only thing I am slightly paranoid about is that when I switch the lights off from sidelights, occasionally the main beams flash quickly. Is my switch dying or should I look at something else? Naturally, it could just be that I am paranoid :shock:

Thanks,

Ka

Girlracer

Gavin,

Yeah, I located the resistor with yellow and yellow/black wires coming out of it near the battery, disconnected it and put some electrician's tape on the disconnected ends.

Also, I used to have the dim dip facility and now it's definitely just the sidelights that come on.

Thanks,

Ka

Ka, the resistor is what gives you the dim dip. When you turn on the sidelights there is also a feed to the dip beam via the resistor. The resistor drops the voltage, which makes the bulb dim.

When fitting the loom, there is enough voltage from the dim dip on sidelights, to power the relay for the dip beam. Disconnecting the resistor stops that happening.

So you get sidelights and then headlights.

Gavin