Sign in to follow this  
fazgti

No petrol gauge

mines the same, sometimes stops registering after filling up then all of a sudden starts again, a bit hit and miss really, it's one of the 'not so urgent' jobs on my list - it'll serve me right if i run out of petrol though s'pose..

Yes, mine did that once or twice, and came back to life after a day or so. Oddly enough, the Passat of the same vintage (so probably the same or similar components) has never ever mis-behaved, and I have had it from new.

Best wishes

RB

Right a few developments, i took the pump out and all seemed well, but i did notice that when i turn my ignition on the needle does move from below nothing to the red empty mark (by the way ive got the mk4 VDO gauges in my c) but o further than that, its like it hasnt got enough charge to get up all the way....

And this hasnt just happened its not been working for a few months at all

fazgti, what sender are you using then? My TDi has mk4 clocks but G60 pump and sender so they read backwards... (swapping wires round doesn't fix as it's based on resistance - I am going to try a mk4 sender i bought off eBay)

I think its just using the orginal 2L pump etc and it cant have been when the clocks were put in because they have worked for a few years since the conversion, could it be something to do with the gauge itself?

Well - I think the resistance works the opposite way round between mk2 and mk4 so I'm thinking maybe you have a mk4 sender or some sort of box inline to sort the signal out??

True i really dont know what to try now, ths could end up costing a fortune, its £50 for a new pump and float etc on its own, never mind new gauges from a mk4

Well - I think the resistance works the opposite way round between mk2 and mk4 so I'm thinking maybe you have a mk4 sender or some sort of box inline to sort the signal out??

Did'nt think of that one faz, did'nt know about the resistance difference with mk4, when i filled it up, i did put alot more petrol in that i normally did, so if there is an inline box somewhere, it may of done something to that due to of being much more fuel in the tank than normal.

my mates valver does this all the time, i found that flicking the glass next to the gauge works like a charm! not really a solution but it might work!!!!!

Right petty gauge now working, seems there was a break in the live wire for the float sensor, little bit of soldering jobs a gooden

Ah nice one mate - knew it would be a wiring / connection problem...

Are you sure it's a live wire? - if so that must be the difference between Corrado and mk4, I've got my new mk4 sender on the way...

Cheers supercharged theres a live and an earth that connect to the strip which the float rubs up against, the cars using the mk4 pump