Sign in to follow this  
X5PEA

Newbie needs some advice

Hi guys im currently fitting a 2.0 16V from a rear ended raddo into my MK1 Show car. (Have a look at my project Site 8) ) Anyway iwas planning to rebuild the engine and upgrade a few parts to get some power gains. Has anyone got any advise on where i should focus my cash??

Ive been told that Kr cams are a good choice, would you just give the engine a good service and replace consumable parts ie pumps filters ect. Any advise would be greatly received

Hi guys im currently fitting a 2.0 16V from a rear ended raddo into my MK1 Show car. (Have a look at my project Site 8) ) Anyway iwas planning to rebuild the engine and upgrade a few parts to get some power gains. Has anyone got any advise on where i should focus my cash??

Ive been told that Kr cams are a good choice, would you just give the engine a good service and replace consumable parts ie pumps filters ect. Any advise would be greatly received

ditch the KE-Jetronic system and go earlier K-jetronic (1.8 16v system) easier to set up for engine mods.

Internally polish both inlet and exhaust manifolds and gas flow the head, you'll then be looking at 170-180bhp on KR cams.

To be honest im going for a simple look in the bay and without loosing the Ke-Jet all together i think id rather stick with it as it look slightly better then the K-Jet.

That link was pretty informative..... cheers

Seen as i have the engine on a stand and the oportunity to recon it, what would you suggest is worth doing? Im sure the engine had done 70k before it was removed.

70k is fine mate

thres not much to be done apart from the above but rebuild with new parts senders etc (planning to do mine soon) 160K!

doesnt need it but i`m buying a house with room to do it so i`m starting to save

you can get any power you want with the valver engine if you got cash

tbh i think the mk1 with a few tweeks will be a hoot with the valver installed

To be honest im going for a simple look in the bay and without loosing the Ke-Jet all together i think id rather stick with it as it look slightly better then the K-Jet.

:? KE jet adds gubbins under the bonnet (like the knock sensors and plug lead spark detection wire) and is more troublesome, if you want the plastic cover over the front of the metering head then just fit a KE jet one to a K-jet system.

Also k-jet appears to be best for power gains.

Nice write up by riley :p (i wrote it :lol: )

I think that's mainly because you can get away with a bit of over-fuelling by just tweaking the WUR, the ECU on the KE-jet tends to interfere with that, lambda etc... even if re-chipped, and it's not the most modern or powerful ECU.