Sign in to follow this  
mmarks

Advice for potential buyer wanted - especially G60

Hi all,

I am interested in buying a G60 as a fun car. It will do around 400km (300 miles) per week 99% on motorways.

I know this is a lot for an old car, but for many years now I have bought cheapish cars and run them until they were uneconimical to repair then simply replaced them, on average they last me 6 months for about 500-1000 pounds total running cost (car, service, repairs & tax). I consider this a relatively cheap way of 'playing' with fun cars, especially as I used to pay around 300 pounds per month HP on cars which were probably no more reliable.

Anyway, I have seen a G60 at 1000 euros that looks and drives well. My main question is, if the supercharger breaks, can the car be run without it? I did have a renault turbo where this happened and a garage welded a pipe between the the manifold and the downpipe (replacing where the turbo was) then simply joined the oil in and out lines together. This was a very cheap way to keep the car on the road (albeit with limited performance!) Can the same be done with a supercharger?

Any other hints or tips to look for?

It won't be a fun car if the charger goes, either you drive a 1.8 with very low compression which will be like driving a 1L :lol: or it costs you near what the car is worth to fix.

They're really enthusiasts cars now and you have to be prepared to put money and time into them to keep them going as they should be.

David.