Sign in to follow this  
Kaktus

Need advice before I go back to the VW workshop.

Hi Guys

I only recently registered on the forum, although I have been reading the forum for months now.

Anyway, I have a 1.8 16v KR Corrado (UK Spec). No mods except for a 57mm stainless steel goodie. I went to the VW workshop about 6 weeks ago to get my co's and timing adjusted. However now I only manages to get about 5-6KM per Liter. That is under 20mpg for the ones who don't know km/l. This is all town driving, but still it should give me at least 25-30mpg at worst. And I am quite a gentle driver, almost granny like after I realised the consumption, so I am 100% sure it ain't my driving style.

Now my question is, for a standard kr with exhaust, what should my co's be at idle, and what should it be at 3000rpm. Cause I am going to get the co's adjusted again, but I would like to stand by this time to keep an eye on the VW mechie and the co readings.

Happy Dubbin

Kaktus

idle figure should be 0.5-1.5%, but most 16v's on K-jet are happier with it around 2%, I've not found that this significantly increases fuel consumption. The UK MOT test has a maximum of 3.5% for this age of car.

Timing should be 6 deg advanced at idle, but if you have sufficient grade of fuel available most 16v's will cope with up to 8 deg of advance, that will give you a bit more power and/or reduce fuel consumption a small amount.

David.

Note: if the cambelt is out by one tooth and the ignition timing based on that, then you will have major problems with fuel consumption

Thanks David.

So I will check wether the crank and the cam timing is lined up to theire marks.. If they both are lined up to where they should be, and the dizzy's timing is at 6 degrees, all that's left is the co's?

Btw. Won't a car be heavier on fuel the higher the co's are? Or am I confused?

Thanks Bud.

Hugo

the car wont use more fuel with a 2% C/O at idle , as its only an idle ajustment

the wur regulator affects the at speed mixture via the fuel pressure.....thats why people have the wur mod performed

Hi Steveo29

If I check the setup of my crank and cam timing tonight, and it does turnout to be spot on. What is the next best thing to do to try and get the fuel consumption back up to where it should be?

Thanks for the help guys.

Happy Dubbin

Hugo

do you trust the garage 100% ?

if the cam and ign timing is correct and the c/o somewhere close it should be somewhere close

are all your service items like plugs /filters etc recent?

Car has been serviced about 300 miles ago. Only thing i didn't replace was the fuel filter. But this can't cause heavy consumption though?

I trus the VW dealer when i am there :roll:

Checked the timing last night and it turned out that the flywheel is 180 degrees out. :shock: Some newbie must have replaced the clutch before and put the flywheel wrong back on. So all i can think of is that they've set the timing on number 4 cylinder in place of number 1. :roll:

Still not sure wether this can be the reason why my car is heavy on fuel. :oops:

Thanks Mate.

What pisses me off the most is, the vw mechie didn't have the guts to tell me that someone fitted it wrong. Anyway, i'll try and get it sorted by someone respectable.

Thanks for the help. 8)

Thanks Mate.

What pisses me off the most is, the vw mechie didn't have the guts to tell me that someone fitted it wrong. Anyway, i'll try and get it sorted by someone respectable.

Thanks for the help. 8)

think I'm right in saying that the flywheel can only go on in one position so it's the cam's that are out, you can fix this by removing the cam belt and turning the cam pulley round 180 deg (with the pistons a little way down of course to clear the inlet valves when open).

which marks don't line up, flywheel to bottom cambelt pulley, mark should line up with arrow on lower timing cover

Dizzy mark for rotor arm against mark on body

and cam pulley mark should be vertical.

If I set the crank timing so that the rotor in the dizzy is on number 1, the flywheel is 180degrees out, and the camgear timing is spot on.

However, if I set the crank timing so that the rotor in the dizzy is on no4, then the flywheel is spot on, but the camgear is 180degrees out.

Hope it makes sense. :-P

If I set the crank timing so that the rotor in the dizzy is on number 1, the flywheel is 180degrees out, and the camgear timing is spot on.

However, if I set the crank timing so that the rotor in the dizzy is on no4, then the flywheel is spot on, but the camgear is 180degrees out.

Hope it makes sense. :-P

so I think all you need to do is remove belt, rotate cam pulley 180 deg and swap the plug leads round. Are you sure the rotor arm is pointing to the mark on the dizzy body and not just the lead that happens to be no. 1.