Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Failed my T

Well... as I thought would be the case I took my car to a tuners to have them put it through a TÜV change for new wheels and new suspension and the TÜV checker just said no...

Front wheels i know are fine... suspension i know is fine.... but the 9x16 ET15 rears stick out of the rear arches and that's a no-no. Although there is conflicting info on if it's the law for the whole wheel to be inside the arch, or just the tread of the tyre. Still that's another matter....

So I guess I need toget these arches widened to cover the tyres (205/40/16 for informations sake). Question is, can an early style rear arch be flared enough to cover the whole wheel ????

Anybody got their arches flared on a early style and how much did it set you back ? Did the arches need painting after ?

why not bond some plastic arches on for the test then remove them later ,must be boarder line out of the arches ,flaring metal arches will not be cheap and will need painting afterwards this way you have a year to sort it out mk2 golf arches may do the trick no pretty but only for the test

rob

if your going to go to the trouble of adding plastic arches, and removing it after the test (so it won't be legal afterwards) the easiest thing is to just change the wheels for the test?

Tests here are different...... else i would have put my old steelies on.

I need a test for the wheels so that they're added to the car registration documents. Then I'm legal and if I get pulled over it's all documented.

Good thinking with the plastic bits, but in Germany those plastic bits would need a TÜV certificate as well :cry:

and we complain about our MOT glad our test is not that tight my mate would borrow wheels and tyres to get an MOT then put his worn ones back on until pay day ,many years ago i may add things you do when your kids

Rob

European test are fare better than the uk ones, any changes to the body, engine or wheels base need to be documented. in spain rolling the arches mean the car would need to have the width of the car changed too.