Sign in to follow this  
Rpmayne

Gearbox selector jammed, help!

This is on a mk2 16v Golf, not sure whether the 4 pot corrados have this gearbox or not but any help would be much appreciated...

Only reverse can be selected. On closer inspection the plastic linkage which moves the gearbox selector in and out had broken.

Reconnected it but it seems that the selector in the gearbox will not pull out. Pushing it in (and turning to the right looking from the front) gets it into reverse, but it will not pull out to engage any forward gears. I'm guessing this is what caused the linkage to break.

Any ideas what's involved in fixing the gearboxs internal selector mechanism or is a second hand gearbox the way to go?

Thanks.

These guys are fab, and i'm sure they will give you advice over the phone and a definative answer.

All my mates use them, as have I due to their workshop being cleaner than an operating theatre, they are really careful with your car and will only repair what needs doing if thats what you want.

I don't know them buy the way, just impressed with their work

Gearlink Ltd 01722 711444 (thats Salisbury, Wilts)

Its the Dif pin that allways goes on these boxes isnt it, when you select reverse............clunk............oh dear. Box apart i think but im not 100% by any means. Cheaper to do the linkeage and see if it will come out.

Thanks Nick. Think I've found the problem. Never had to do anything to a gearbox other than change one complete so all new to me.

The gear selector internal to the gearbox can be removed by taking off the lever, undoing the 27mm socket at the front of the gearbox then sliding the assembly out the front.

Also undo the nut on the top of this section, that is a ball bearing assembly which helps locate the gears. This can also be a problem apparently because the ball bearing can fall out.

Mine was badly worn. When I got the car the gear change was really sloppy, bought an overhall kit from GSF and when fitting noticed that one was completely missing. Think over time this has caused the damage to the selector, and when I tightened the linkage movement up it jammed the worn selector.

Picking another selector up tonight so fingers crossed, only just changed the engine so really don't want to take it all apart again.