Sign in to follow this  
Louie Lungbubble

How much???

Just picked myself up off the floor after talking to the stealers.

Head gasket set for an early valver... £167.47!! :shock:

Head gasket alone £30.54 (fair enough) And head bolts @ £5.11 each (whatever)

Parts monkey said the gasket kit came with the H G itself, cam seal, inlet manifold seal... I'm sure there were more, but I was busy throwing a Barry and sliding off my chair!

Read a few threads on this and no-one's shouting those kinda figures for a Head set. Am I missing something?

From what others have said, oem is the way forward with most things gasket, but the difference between a GSF set @ £39.60 and a VW set at the above, is hard to ignore.

Any thoughts? And is that price right??

I thought the kit for a VR was about half that!

seems a crazy price, but then it is VW.

was talking to a woman in the garage the other day about VW, and she had just paid £20 for a new headlight bulb!

That's about what I was quoted.... I got pattern parts from the company who refurbed my head for about £100, maybe less. I considered that if they (the engineering firm) thought they were good enough, then they were.

The bolts **can** be reused, if you just run them up to 60Nm, and then re tighten in 1000 miles or so. but it's not the reccomended method.

And when I say can, I mean it is physically possible, but I almost certainly wouldn't do it myself. too much hassle in the long run...

Well it could be argued that all it would cost you is the time to do the job again. But AFAIC, that cost is too high compared to new bolts.

My mate reused his, and it was fine... I'd go for new though

Head bolts are defo going in the bin.

Shocked at that head set price though. Think I'll have to go pattern part.

Need a shopping list now.

Found this on another thread courtesy of Henny. They were talking about g60's so it's probably different for valvers. Can anyone confirm?

OK, for a straight head swap you'll need:

10x headbolts

1x head gasket

1x set (4) exhaust manifold gaskets

1x exhaust manifold to downpipe gasket

1x inlet manifold gasket

1x rocker cover gasket

2x rubber O ring for the plastic water flanges (I'd also change the flanges and blue and black temp sensors and O rings too, but I'm like that!)

1x oil filter

1x 5L oil

4x injector seals (optional, but I tend to do these just for safety

Would the head set take care of most of the above?

Buying a "headset" will have all the gaskets and bolts you want.... make sure you specify it's for a corrado, as the intake mani gasket might be different for the 42mm runners.

There are 4 large and 4 small injector seals. new ones are awkward to fit.

Might need to replace the complete plastic water flanges. Mine were wanky.

What do you mean by 'canned up'? If you're suggesting a couple of cheeky beers, then I'm not really sure..... chances are it'll p!ss you off to the stage you want to set fire to it anyway (or at least mine did) and beer will probably get the petrol and the matches for you....

Leave a bit longer than the book says for doing the work.... Mine took nearly a month!!!!!!!!!!! But it did have additional complications..