Sign in to follow this  
mtc R32

Putting our Rado's away for Winter ????

Been coming across a few of you recently who have declared the Rados of the road and away untill better weather....

Its not untill now, I've had a think about doing this too... But on the other hand because I don't use it as a daily means of transport I've thought whats the point!!!!

Do they really suffer that badly from our winter season????

I don't know if I could completely lock the Rado away.... and never drive it again untill summer!!!!

Mines SORN at the mo because an ABS sensor, thermostat and door handle all went t.ts the day before my tax renewal and what with house and child cr.p going on i knew it would stay beggered for a week or 2.

Thought about taking it off anyway, now i can cycle to work, but tbh, its doing my nut in not driving it for a last week, its worse than not getting any! Salt isnt good, but the amount we all clean our cars i doubt its going to do much.

Mine will be back on the black stuff as soon as I do the stat and sensor, no winter rest here ;-)

and in my experience i have had far more problems as a result of not driving various cars than ragging them all yr round. I pay too much insurance etc not to enjoy it as much as possible too! Respect to those that do, but i just cant leave my car alone without getting grumpy!

makes me laugh the way some of you "cherish" a 15 year old £400 car as if it's a classic bentley or something

just drive the b4stard.

no point having a car in the garage, you might as well sell it and get something useful if thats the case... Just keep it clean and it wil be fine. tbh im really bad in winter and last year i cleaned it once between oct and feb, oops had to clean it for ultimate dubs show early in the year and i spent a week cleaning it to get it something show worthy

If mine was a really low miler and was coming 1st and 2nd in show and shine events, then perhaps I may never drive it at all.... :scratch:

I'd only have to go and buy another one that I could use when ever....

I am abit of a perfectionist but I do like PHATVR6's moto :lol: (Drive The Bast*rds) :lol:

makes me laugh the way some of you "cherish" a 15 year old £400 car as if it's a classic bentley or something

just drive the b4stard.

Well said that man...Bang on It was made to be driven.

agreed, otherwise whats the point?

I remember a classic quote on this forum that sums it up perfectly,

"Its like going out with Kate Moss, and only sha**ing her at the weekend"

agreed, otherwise whats the point?

I remember a classic quote on this forum that sums it up perfectly,

"Its like going out with Kate Moss, and only sha**ing her at the weekend"

id rather tear the arse off the rado tbh! :twisted:

Keeping the Rado clean at the top end is OK, but what worries me are all those nooks and crannies below the car, where water and salt get stuck, and having cleaned and subsequently removed rust traces on my Mk2 Storm Rocco (loooong task), plus new suspension (which people who've seen it will be able to testify, looks like new even after 3 years, thanks to no driving through rain and salt), even having had to do welding on the Mk2 Storm :shock:, I simply can't be arsed to go through that every few years, because of the huge amounts of metal-munching amounts of salt on the roads.

I still want to enjoy my cars even in 20 or 30 years, as I don't think the car industry will ever produce anything that lights my fire anymore (my criteria are very strict, BTW, it's gotta be a Mk1 Rocco or nothing), so that's how I treat mine, very similar to how old-timer owners treat theirs.

For ragging and thrashing there are plenty of Goofs around, write one of those off, and I wouldn't lose a tear.

Tempest

£400? You think I'd get that much for it? :)

Mine really ONLY gets used in the winter.

Move to the South West, not much snow and ice down here, so hardly any salt. You might get the odd pasty stuck between the axles, but that's about it.

I drive mine all year, otherwise it's Shank's pony for me. I'd love a garage to keep it in though.

I'll be taking mine out this winter for a few miles.....locked it up last winter and nearly set me back for a full set of brake disks due to corrosion.....I know one guy how's got a Lotus and he ended up having to replace the two rear brake calipers and disks because of the same issue......

If you're goin' to lock them away for winter make sure you take precautions