Sign in to follow this  
DiTch

should i clean my engine / engine bay

i was wondering if i should clean my engine bay as ...nNO1 top of engine covered in oil/ gearbox covered in oil and 15 years of grime also oil pi@@ed out all over front of engine thanks to oil pressure switch thats suppose to let me know about that kind of thing, but didn,t ,, i had to hear about it from floor of garage a day later instead... NO2 i noticed that a lot of crap tends to gather on the strut just underneath the expansion tank.. the kind of crap that soaks up water and could lead to RUST!! . My brother told me to jet wash the engine and bay just avoiding anything electrical? ,,.. i,m not to sure about this as there are electrical things all over the engine bay ............. so was wondering if anyone has jet washed a 16v engine and how did it work out?

Yeah it should be fine...

I ve done mine a few times... ( Not a 16v a g60 ) just be careful..

If you have access to an air compressor use compressed air to blow off all the water afterwards this will remove most of the water from the engine bay and stop it seeping into electrical parts..

yeah ive jet washed mine loads of times.....cover the distributer and give it all a good soak with gunk and work it in with a paint brush...then blast it well with the jet washer

might be a idea to whip the dizzy cap off and dry it afterwards