Sign in to follow this  
Dogzyboy

Not Your Typical Lumpy/Hesitant/Stuttery Problem - FIXED!?!

I know biggrim had a similar problem a while back that turned out to be a relay. Off the top of my head I cant remember what one, might be worth sending him a pm to check if you still dont have any joy.

- Ross

Just had a look at the post where biggrim was having problems. The issue he was having was with the ECU Relay. Unfortunately, I don't think it's the same problem, as I have now replaced mine & the problems still persist. Thanks for the tip though mate.

Just been for a drive without the Load Reduction Relay removed & the clicks still occur, so that rules that one out...

My next suspect is the relay directly above the ECU Relay in Pos 3. Does anyone know what this might be on a '95 VR6 without aircon or electric seats?

Anyway, this relay seemed a bit wobbly, so I took it out for a look & it looked a bit black. I've sprayed it with some contact cleaner & I'll see if it makes any difference on the way home tonight.

I would get an auto electrician to take a look, but it only ever occurs whenn you are driving, so I've no idea how he would be able to find the fault??

The trouble with any of the relays above the fuse board is that they more around depending on what option are on the car. But the Bentley manual says it's either Positive Crankcase Ventillation (whatever that might be, never heard of it) or the ABS Hydraulic Pump Relay?

Neither of these seems likely.

Have you checked all the earth points on the engine, they are numerous and could give all kinds of trouble if loose, bad or missing.

Going back to your fault code, have you tried swapping no.5 injector with another one and seeing if the fault moves. Injectors do fail from time to time.

i would double check the connections to and from the coilpack/plugs.if the leads are not pushed on correctly they will throw these symptoms up.worth a try b4 you throw any more money at it?

Thanks for the replies guys.

CrazyDave; I've not yet tried the swapping the injectors round, though someone did mention this to me before. The reason I've not tried is that I'm a bit inept when it comes to car DIY. I'll have to get a garage to do this for me, so I was trying to leave this until last.

What I haven't checked properly are all the earthing points. I believe there is one on the alternator, one on the gearbox & one more, not sure where that last one is though??

adevr6; I've checked all the connections are definitely in place. I've had the coilpack & leads all off again to make sure I've done it all properly, but the problem still remains.

Starting to have doubts about the Ignition Switch so I might try that next. What I'll also do though is have a good look at the earthing points and check for dodgy connections etc...

Once again guys, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. :)

Cheers,

Doug

I've not been wanting to tempt fate before now, but I think this might be fixed!!

After 6 months of head scratching and parts replacement, it seems that the main wiring loom going to the back right hand side of the engine had a loose connection. I also had a split breather hose that was causing some over-fuelling.

Anyway, the connections have been tightened up & the breather hose replaced & hey presto, not more stutter, clicking from the relays or hesitancy! I'm well chuffed!! :D

So, fingers are still crossed that's it sorted now, however, as we all know with Cs, the problem often comes back!!

Now to find the source of the coolant leaking from the back of the engine.... Matrix pipes me thinks.