Sign in to follow this  
pkripper

190 Cosworth

Seen a few about for not much money, less than £2k. Seems like a good buy for a track car.

2.5 16v with nearly 200 bhp, are they any good? Was wondering how they faired in comparison say to a 325i sport?

best person to speak to is Stevemac he's a big fan of them.............£2k ones tho will no doubt cost triple that if the engine goes............one of the HGV mechanics that my bro-in-law used a few years back had one.........till he launched a piston thru the block.........£7k was what Merc wanted

btw was more the M3's rival than the 325i

They were very good in their day. M3 good.

... perhaps cheaper to track a BMW 325i or 318is as parts would be easier to get as not such a rare beast??

£2k ones tho will no doubt cost triple that if the engine goes

Rodders is right there, a £2K one will be way more trouble than it's worth, it's not just the engine that's pricey either, they have auto levelling rear suspension which will cost a fortune to repair if there's anything wrong, plus all the other bits on them are pretty hard to get hold of and damned expensive. Definitely not something to use as a cheap track car!

Awesome cars though if they're in good nick, supposedly the best handling saloon car of the eighties and the evo version spanked the m3 in the DTM championships at the time.

Oh and the 2.5 had f*** all to do with cosworth, if anything it could be badged as an AMG. Only the 2.3 had a cosworth designed (earlier ones were also manufactured by them) head, and even that one in my book is no more a cossie than any vauxhall with a red-top engine.