Sign in to follow this  
steve @

Exhaust ... what shall i do?

Having a centre section made up on monday. I am running a supersprint system at the mo (2 boxes) along with a supersprint silenced decat. Its pretty much stock quiet at the mo.

Now i have two options remove the centre box(before the rear beam) and have a pipe run from the decat to the back box 8) or fit a small silencer just after the cat.

My question is, is anyone running just a back box silenced system? if so does it rasp? and boom at certain speeds?

Cheers

Steve

It does make it a tad loud. Especially if you dont have a cat................. 8)

Mine has a really odd whistle to it. But I kind of like it now

I've been toying with doing something like this for quite a while...

Have a std exhaust - although it only has 2 silencers i.e. the centre suitcase and the rear box.

The car has a cat and aurally it's really pathetic considering the output power of the engine.

So my plan is to go the Supersprint route but with only a rear silencer (but retaining the Cat) as I understand a dual box supersprint wil be no louder than normal.

However, will the single rear box route be too loud even if it's a Supersprint box???

Ive got a Magnex cat back system on mine, soon getting a stainless sport manifold and decat pipe from Daz at G Werks.

Mine isnt loud at the moment a bit of a rasp when pulling away hard but i get more noise from the induction kit....

The less silencers you have even if you have a cat will be loud so running just one silencer and a cat will be much more noisey....

Having a centre section made up on monday. I am running a supersprint system at the mo (2 boxes) along with a supersprint silenced decat. Its pretty much stock quiet at the mo.

Now i have two options remove the centre box(before the rear beam) and have a pipe run from the decat to the back box 8) or fit a small silencer just after the cat.

My question is, is anyone running just a back box silenced system? if so does it rasp? and boom at certain speeds?

Cheers

Steve

i am and it does boom a little at 2k rpm it has an angry rumble at tickover makes a really nice vr purr below 2k open it up and it sounds feckin evil :twisted: :twisted:

Steve, Martyn Culley runs a back box only on his VR Vento VW Cup car ! - so probably that a little extreem for the road and you have made the right descision to include something else. Only thing I'm not clear about is why u want to change the system -just to make a bit more noise? :)

I've got straight through pipes from the cat to the back box on mine at the moment. Its only a valver but its still really loud! Too lound really but I'm getting used to it and it does sound good at certain revs! I've got some spare VW centre boxes so I'm going to put one or both of them back in when I get round to it.

Steve, Martyn Culley runs a back box only on his VR Vento VW Cup car ! - so probably that a little extreem for the road and you have made the right descision to include something else. Only thing I'm not clear about is why u want to change the system -just to make a bit more noise? :)

Well its all done. System is now supersprint silenced decat into a small silencer then a pipe run to the supersprint backbox. Pleased with the results 8) .

The reason I had this done Pete was due to a blowing centre section and also the middle section didnt fit to well.

If your planning on a supersprint back box (supersprint backbox is quite large and well packed for noise suppression) then yeah I would fit a small silencer just after the cat.