Sign in to follow this  
jonnyboyo

VAC switch fitting

Hi all, does the VAC switch (the little effort next to the airbox) need any special tools to remove or setting up once changed? Or can i change it myself with zero grief?!!

I want my MPG to work on the MAF and managed to pick a VAC switch up cheap! Many thanks :)

Forgot to say, my car is a 1990 G reg 1.8 16v. Cheers.

i thought the spaceship just supplied vacuum 'information' to the 'wiring loom' or ECU - are these just K-jetronic or digifant??

the MFA trip economy is supplied by a vacuum line going through the bulkhead, and the sensor is on the back of the instrument cluster IIRC

pb

It would be good if someone else could confirm, but im 95% sure this vacuum sensor is only for engine, not the MFA economy.... im sure the economy is the same set up as 8v K-jet golfs and sciroccos, and im 100% sure these had the sensor behind instrument cluster... if you look you will see a small rigid vacuum pipe disappearing somewhere through the bulkhead...

as for getting to it... basically clocks out.... it cant be any more of a pain than other VWs, but i couldnt tell you screw locations, etc.... bentley maybe??

hope that helps,

pb

it's straightforward.

remove the plastic binacle in front of the instrument cluster, (4 screws, two up into the underside of the dash and 2 behind plastic covers on the bottom front corners)

the instrument cluster is held in by 2 screws (approx halfway up on the left and right hand side of the cluster)

you'll need to drop the underdash tray out so you can reach behind the cluster to disconnect the electrical cable, speedo cable and vacuum pipe.

once you have the cluster out you'll see the vacuum sensor on the back of the cluster. (nfortunately you have to actually take the cluster apart to get at the sensor as it screws into the cluster from inside the housing.

Is taking the cluster apart a fiddly job? And will it look like ive been messing with the clocks as if ive had a go at trying to clock it?

Apologies for all the questions guys.

instruments come apart real easy. (just a couple of obvious screws).

you don't need to remove the speedo at all.

pop the temp and petrol guage cluster out (just pulls off the mounting lugs when the lugs are squeezed together).

you'll see the vacuum sender in the rear of the cluster casing.

once it all goes back together no-one will be any the wiser that you had it apart!

Awesome!! Sounds do-able to me. One final question. How much are the sensors and what are they called?....Ok, that was 2 questions :)

no idea, I bought my replacement sensor from someone on here, stick an add in the wanted section or alternatively head to the stealers fully lubed up!!

not sure what its officially called. most people would know what you mean if you say vacuum sensor in the back of the instrument cluster.