Sign in to follow this  
RobMulvey

Should I buy this engine? 9a Bubble block 2.0 litre 185 bhp.

Hi,

I have found this engine for sale but do not have much technical expertise, so I hoped some of you could help me.

I have spoken to the seller and this engine is supposedly ready to bolt in and has a BHP of 185 but that was in a MkII Golf. but I have a few questions. Will I need to get the engine remapped or buy any parts as a result of puting this engine in?

Will this engine be easy to use day to day, idling problems, fuel consumption etc?

And will it be a case of maintaining it like a normal engine or would it require frequent checking and adjusting?

Also, Is the £1000 pricetag as reasonable as he says?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rob

9a Bubble block 2.0 litre 185 bhp.

Due to a change of plans (the race series I want to run in will not allow a 2.0 litre) I am selling the 9A engine from my mk2 Golf. The spec sheet is huge and the parts alone cost £1850.

The spec:

9A from 1994 Corrado, stripped and checked over with new parts as required, incl brand new gaskets.

Baffled sump

Windage tray

Brand new oil pump

Brand new water pump

New cam belt and tensioner

Kent vernier cam sprocket

Brand new cam chain

Adustable vernier on exhaust cam

258 Kent cams

Stage three ported and polished head

50mm inlet manifold, ported to the head

New injector rubbers

Ruhr pipe

Drilled airbox

Stealth modded WUR and metering head

Also included but not shown in the pics are the alternator, K&N filter and all the injection pipes.

To fit all you will need to do is put some engine mounts on (I need those for my new engine), spark plugs and set up the dizzy.

The dyno figures show 184.5bhp at 6547rpm and 149.6lbft torque at 6309rpm. The power curve is completely linear, whilst the cams give a noticeable boost in torque from 4300rpm.

£1850 sounds like a lot from looking at that list; I can't see that much moneys worth of parts, unless he's including buying the head. It looks like a completely standard bottom end with some head work and different cams. Considering you can buy a 1.8T engine for a grand, it sounds over-priced to me.

That's just my opinion though. I may well have missed something.

I think £1850 is a reasonable cost for all these parts including buying the engine and head (if new), allowing for the cost of doing the head, buying the cams, windage tray, sump, Kent cam wheels, stealth-modded WUR etc. Yes, you can get a 1.8T engine for £1000 but it also need about another £1000 to get bits fabricated, downpipe, intercooler, pipework, management, remap etc.

Of course more bang for buck with 1.8T, but I reckon £1000 for this engine seeing you to 185BHP, with only droppin the engine straight-in, getting spark-plugs and engine-mounts (£70 for both) and setting up the dizzy required is a good price to be fair, esp. if RR at these figures.

Just another opinion,

BigTartanJudge

Agreed, if you could guarantee that it makes 185bhp then a grand is ok. The question is, can you? In addition, for a grand I'd expect some bleedin' spark plugs to be included!

Thanks for your help lads.

Do you know if it is likely that I will need to get the engine remapped or buy any parts as a result of puting this engine in?

Will this engine be easy to use day to day, idling problems, fuel consumption etc?

Rob

yeah, good point, I didn't think the 9a had a warm-up reg. Although, if he had it in a golf, it would prob be running on k-jet ( as in 1.8 16v engines) not Ke-jet (as in 2.0 corrado's passats etc...)

Thanks for the help lads.

If the engine is running on a 1.8 16v K-Jetronic injection instead of 9A's KE-Motronic, can I still use it in my 2.0L 16V 'rado or would I need to change other parts of the car to run it? Will I need to remap the engine?

Overall, should I walk(run) away from this engine?

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for the help lads.

If the engine is running on a 1.8 16v K-Jetronic injection instead of 9A's KE-Motronic, can I still use it in my 2.0L 16V 'rado or would I need to change other parts of the car to run it? Will I need to remap the engine?

Overall, should I walk(run) away from this engine?

Cheers,

Rob

you can still use your 9A injection, but ideally the ecu needs a new chip to fuel the engine appropriately (another 200-300 quid properly mapped)

185bhp is not out of the realms of possibility, particularly with some high lift cams, but I'd be a little dubious about spending all that money with no warranty on the engine.

Having said that, to build an engine like that yourself from new parts would set you back more.

It's not something to run away from, but for 400-500 quid you could get an equivalent head done on your own engine, throw in a second hand KR inlet cam and you'll be close to 170bhp anyway, that extra 10 or so bhp is really down to peaky cams, which aren't to everyone's taste on a heavier Corrado anyway, you may be better off for driveability with a 20 quid KR inlet :)

David.

Oh, and he should pay you to take the power rohr pipe!