Sign in to follow this  
Roger Blassberg

lupo wipers

I've had Lupo wipers for about 3 years and they have been trouble free up to now. The blades need replacing quite frequently, but have wiped cleanly and much better than the standard set-up.

A few weeks ago the driver's side blade started missing part of the screen on the return stroke (perfect on the rising stroke), so I swapped the blades over with no improvement - passenger side perfect, driver's side missing the middle half of the screen on the return stroke only.

The blade was juddering a bit as well, so I bought new blades. They are now silent, bit the driver's side still doesn't clear on the return stroke only.

The arm spring seems to be ok (I accept that I have not tested it scientifically or anything, but the pivot is free and the spring isn't broken). I tried a bit of gentle bending of the arm but to no good effect.

Has anyone suffered the same? I assume that the only cure is a new arm.

Please would someone remind me of the part number for the driver's side on a right hand drive VR6

Thanks

Best wishes

RB

Have you looked at the actual wiper mech and motor for any play and tried re-seating/tightening the arm on the spindle?

Im sure all the part numbers are in the fitting guide in the knowledge base section.

Have a peep in there....

Hi Roger - the blades should last ages, what screen wash are you using?

Is there any play in the mech? - ie does one arm move independantly of the other?

Blades were over a year old to be fair, and they were probably fried by summer weather.

I use Holts screen wash in the recommended dilution.

It's not the blade that is at fault because new ones do exactly the same thing (except more quietly). This afternoon's entertainment is to investigate the mechanism.

It is just as though there is a dip in the windscreen - the wiper touches the screen at both its ends but not in the middle, right in my line of sight, and only on the return stroke. The up stroke is perfect.

I'll let you know.

Best wishes

RB

The problem that Roger is describing is exactly what my standard wipers do.

This morning I had enough of it and i was about to ring the dealer to order some Lupo ones - hence clicking this thread to try and get the part numbers.

I think I'll go ahead and try them anyway, but it really does seem like theres a depression in the screen that the wipers cant clear right in front of my head. The rest of the screen is perfect! :lol:

Successful outcome !!

The bracket supprting the wiper motor is bolted to the body, under the bonnet, with a 10mm head bolt through a rubber grommet/bush. The rubber has perished, allowing the whole assembly to move about when the wipers are operating, which in turn cuts down on the pressure of the blade onto the screen.

I simply tightened the bolt about a 1/4 turn which has restored the rigidity of the assembly, and the wipers are perfect again.

Thanks to all who helped, and I hope that Pickard1 can get the same result.

Best wishes

RB

Nice one Roger Blassberg, top tip for all that are suffering this problem.

Glad you got sorted....

Just been out under the bonnet. The actual motor seems to sit pretty firmly, but I have got some play on the offending wiper through the plane of the windscreen. It moves probably 3mm. I have attached a picture to try and show what i mean (wrong side wiper in picture) Was this the movement you had Roger Blassberg ?

Pickard1, yes that was the movement I had before restoring the rigidity as described .

Latest update;

I looked again at this, and the grommet is easily removed from the bracket. It has the remains of a part number on it, although that is illegible after being compressed for the last 13 years or so. Maybe a replacement is available separately.

Anyway, I took it off and put suitably-sized tap washers either side of the bracket with the steel washer on top and the bolt through the whle lot. It's a perfect fit and 100% wipers are reliably restored.

Mods., It might be worth incorporating this into the "Lupo wipers" sticky. I'll write the narrative if you want and leave you to paste it in.

Best wishes

RB

hey can someone give me the part number for the stock wiper arms? I just want the stock arms for now since i rarely drive the car in the rain. Can anyone help me out? Also would any arms from a VW work i.e. a jetta golf any of those

I have FINALLY got to the root cause of all the problems with the wipers .

The whole mecanism is supported in three places, namely the two wiper spindle carriers as they pass through the bodywork under the windscreen and by the wiper motor support fixed to the scuttle (see previous discussion above relating to the rubber mounting grommet at this point).

The wiper spindle carriers provide rigidity to the mechanism by virtue of their being fixed to the main frame of the wiper system by rivets (quite big ones, but not by bolts as I had imagined).See Bentley, section 92.2

One of the two rivets on the driver's side had sheared and the spindle carrier was therefore not fixed properly to the support frame with the result that the whole thing flopped about and was incapable of holding the blade to the screen at high speed.

It was an easy job to drill the rivet out and substitute it with an M6 nut and bolt, with appropriate spring washer. The bolt head just clears the path of the 3-pointed crank. The result is full restoration of rigidity, which isn't bad at my age. No more flopping, no more support frame misery.....

A test run at "appropriate speed" has confirmed that this is a complete cure to the problem which has been hounding me , and probably others, for ages. In combination with Lupo wipers, I can see in the rain again.

Best wishes

RB