Sign in to follow this  
red_baron

Poorly VR6

The good news is that I've found our what's been causing the lambda sensor issues... and its not the lambda sensor side of things luckily. The bad news is that the plug going into the connector on the other side of the steel plate from where the senser cable plugs in is absolutely bu99ered! I've had to use my best surgical skills to do a temporary fix - which involved cutting the plug off, using 4 chocolate-box connectors, some spare wire and 4 small spade connectors on to the terminals on the connector. Not sure how long this will last but I don't really know what else to do.

The picture below shows the plug now I've removed it. The red & brown wires were bare in places and so badly frayed that they were touching each other (hence the open-circuit or short fault on VAG-COM then!). The yellow wire had completely broken off (not sure what this does but I'm sure it being broken is not good) and the white wire looked as though it had been fixed once before.

I've taken it for a drive and there were no error codes logged at all. Phew.

Still have an issue with smoke however... just after I set off there was quite a lot coming from the air box side of the engine. I think this might be one or two drops of oil dripping onto the exhaust manifold - the inside of my air intake ducting is a bit oily... should I be worried (I've put a jubilee clip on the end of the offending pipe to try and stop the drips)?