Sign in to follow this  
8vtornado

seized handbrake

i have a seized handbrake on one side on my g60, it was completely stuck on but managed to get it moving but the cable is still pulling on the calliper altho completely loose at the lever end. how can i get the cable off to remove the calliper to service it?

also do you know of any likely reasons my ABS light is always on... it was sitting for 3 years and i havent got round to changing the fluid and pads yet but am in the process.

thanks

siezed caliper handbrake release mechanism you mean, the end of the cable just un-hooks from the caliper, once siezed, the caliper will always re-sieze soon even if freed up.

Your ABS light might be a dodgy ABS sensor, interrogating the fault codes would tell you, laptop and vag-com, or other fault code reader needed.

so should i buy 2 rear callipers if i can afford it or just change the one as im not on major money! i just bought new brake seals too!!! is there no way i can stop the calliper from re seizing? thanks

so should i buy 2 rear callipers if i can afford it or just change the one as im not on major money! i just bought new brake seals too!!! is there no way i can stop the calliper from re seizing? thanks

you can free it off with WD40 etc, but don't expect it to last for long, might do a few months.

so theres no permanent way? can you not take the release mechanism and clean the inside of the pivot (if you know wot i mean!) thanks for all ur help

so theres no permanent way? can you not take the release mechanism and clean the inside of the pivot (if you know wot i mean!) thanks for all ur help

you can buy re-con ones, so it must be possible, never heard of anyone doing anything other than exchanging them though, mk3 golf ones can be used and are better, mk4 even better, but the latter need different hoses too.