Sign in to follow this  
gogsboy

Coolant warning lamp on VR6

Dirty brown - is it oily? Can you see globules floating on top of the coolant?

Hope its not a blown cylinder head gasket.

When you take off the oil filler cap on top of the engine when it is cold , are their mayonnaise-like yellow or yellowish brown deposits on it?

Doesn't appear to be any signs of this on the oil cap, it has been lying overnight and just checked it...

Cant get the coolant cap off with hands there, seems very tight, need to get something to persuade it to come off, Im not at my own house at moment.

The top of the cap looks at bit battered and bruised as if someone has had problem getting it off in past and forced it a little too much.

Any other reasons the coolant would be like this, not liking the head gasket theory.....no...sounds expensive

where in Aberdeen are you Gogs?............if you wan't I can pop round and give you my take on it

That would have been spot on mate, I am opposite side from you I think as can recall Mark saying you were out Cove way, I'm in BOD.

However currently I am visiting some family further north so about 70 miles from Aberdeen.

Any other suggestions what to do and is it advisable to drive at all or a big no no.

when you due back in the 'deen?..................as for the colour of the coolant.......what colour was it prior to filling up with the G12+?........if it was blue-ish it could possibly just be the pink of the G12+ dis-colouring the existing coolant

as for driving it.........its your choice...........classic signs of a head gasket failure will be plumes of white smoke/severe mayo-like substance on the oil-filler cap/oil globules in the expansion........tho thats not ALL the signs

Due back sometime today, perhaps nearer tea time but kinda worried about driving the car now.

The coolant was either blue or green but I asked on the forum and I think the general thought was it was ok to add g12 plus with that.

I thought the car was a bit smokey the other day but put it down to the time of the year, it never appeared to be smokey in the workshop yesterday

G12+ is safe with ANY coolant its the G12(which is obsolete) which isn't,so you've done the right thing

as for the exhaust fumes...........it'll be a thick white smoke(if its a head gasket symptom) rather than condensation due to the ambient air