Sign in to follow this  
Son of a Beesting

Rad swap on VR6 so what else to do.. Oil cooler, thermostat?

Kinda like my heater matrix thread.

My rad needs changing so I was thinking, should I change other bits?

SHould I get one of those Neuspeed thermostats? Should I change the fans for thinner Spal or Kenlowe ones?

Is it worth putting an oil cooler on even though its going to stay pretty standard?

Any other ideas on what to do.

Defo do the blue sender that sits in the rad. I think the oil cooler is a good one to do and i did while mine was standard still.

Having owned golf and vento vr6s in the past they sat at 90 on the oil on the motorway. Really had to thrash them to death to hit 100 on the mfa, where as my corrado sat at 110-118 just cruzing! The mocal knocked it down to 96-100 instead :-)

Just ask Vince the ratio of 2.9 rebuilds he does vs 2.8s in golfs etc and look at how many more 2.8s there are about and its a no brainer. There are more factors involved but this is one of them imo, others will prob argue that though.

I would say though mate, the oil cooler can be done any time without touching the rad, so no real saving there.

i think the stock fans are fine unless you want more space for different IN Manis or running proper FI. Just make sure they are working on all 3 speeds, more often than not they ar;nt!

Nice car btw, you got a very good buy there!!

Might be worth changing the thermostat and the other temp sender as well while you're down there.

Problem is that the plastic housings get brittle with the heat and can break. But they're certainly not too cheap to replace for what they are.

Could be worth fitting an oil cooler while you've got the rad, slam panel and front end off (if you take all that off, that is).

Thanks guys.

Yeah I am currently taking the front bumper off (when I can get the flipping bolts off!!). Would you suggest VW stuff or any other manufactuers for the thermostat, temp senders??

Think I will look into the oil cooler. Stealth are the people to speak to for these I presume? Not as cheap as my G60 one was I fear!

Thanks