Sign in to follow this  
Shaggy

Piston Damage (not mine)

My bro had a mishap with a washer on tuesday night which left the head knackerd and the piston looking like this...

DSC00129.jpg

Personally i dont think he will get away with using the piston in its current state... do vw still sell new pistons for the 2L 9a 16v engine??

Or does anyone know anyone with a spare piston available??

can't see the pic, but VW do sell the pistons, they're just a stupid price compared to something like a ford or vauxhall, try calling a VW dealer.

I do have 3 pistons from my old TSR block, a bored and stroked 1800, so they are the same size as 6a/9A parts if you have no luck anywhere else.

PM me if you want any pics and I'll dig them out.

David.

My bro had a mishap with a washer on tuesday night which left the head knackerd and the piston looking like this...

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.p ... opic=72014

Personally i dont think he will get away with using the piston in its current state... do vw still sell new pistons for the 2L 9a 16v engine??

Or does anyone know anyone with a spare piston available??

are you sure they are the same size as the 9a Pistons? if so we may need one of them from you as i cant find anywhere else! any idea on how much?

PM some piccies :D

are you sure they are the same size as the 9a Pistons? if so we may need one of them from you as i cant find anywhere else! any idea on how much?

PM some piccies :D

yeah, the 2L TSR conversion was basically a 2L crank with the 2L pistons and a boring out of the 1781 block to suit, making the 1984cc. They only did it because 9A's were originally v-expensive and the cranks and pistons although expensive were cheaper than buying a whole 9A.

I paid 1400 quid for the conversion and that was just supply of the bottom end :shock:

I'll measure the pistons, but I'm sure they were identical to the new 6A block I obtained (92.5mm IIRC). They're Mahle pistons I think.

I've still got the balanced TSR 2L crank which i must get round to sticking on fleabay too, no point in it sitting in the corner of my garage for ever :)

will find them and get some pics tomorrow, wouldn't want much for one, I'm a terrible hoarder 'just in case' :lol:

D.

OMG just seen the pic!

Yeah its pretty much totalled the piston.. the bore is still perfect tho thank god!

If they are the same then i will prob want one asap! ( you may have just saved his day! ) aslong as i wont have issues fitting it to the current rods and crank...

PM me a price etc and we can take it from there!

really is a shame as the engine was running 183bhp before this happend...

Cheers

Mike

thanks for your help dave..

my bro had already rang un "the Phirm" who originally did the engine conversion they seem to think they may have a spare original piston that will fit his engine... if this falls thru i will get him to get in touch and we will sort something out!

cheers mate